Dynamic DNS

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
9 posts Page 1 of 1
by malch » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:17 pm
I'm aware this has been asked before but I couldn't find any good resolution and those earlier requests only confirm the demand for such a feature.

I am a Sonic DSL customer with dynamic IP. I don't need 8 IP's and can't really justify the cost of static IP service.

Nevertheless, from time time, I'd really like to be able to find my home computer. I used the free DynDNS service for a time but that's gone away.

It would be oh-so-cool if Sonic could optionally provide DNS service such that:

myusername.userpool.sonic.net

resolved to the IP currently allocated to myusername's service.

I suggest making it optional (and disabled by default) because some users might reasonably view it as a privacy issue.

Sonic provide several other rather unique add-on services to their clients and I think these really differentiate their service and make Sonic very special. I think a feature along the lines I have described would fit right in with that philosophy. Pretty please, Dane :-)

Yeah, I could use afraid.org and that's probably my plan B. But it isn't nearly as elegant and throwing more hosts, DNS servers, and organizations into the mix doesn't help convenience, reliability, or security.
by Alan » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:25 pm
This would be awesome!!
by desertflyer » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:21 pm
A single static IP is free of charge for residential customers.
by malch » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:07 pm
desertflyer wrote:A single static IP is free of charge for residential customers.
Are you sure? Note: I have DSL, not Fusion. Sadly, I'm on a RT and Fusion is not an option.
by wa2ibm » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:25 pm
Yes, static IP's for legacy DSL are free. You can choose 1, 4, or 8 static IP's. Login to your account and go here:

https://members.sonic.net/connections/dsl/ip_setup/
by malch » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:33 pm
wa2ibm wrote:Yes, static IP's for legacy DSL are free. You can choose 1, 4, or 8 static IP's. Login to your account and go here:
And it says:

"Your current service type has a dynamic IP address. No additional IP configuration available for DSL lines with dynamic IPs."

So, now I'm really confused :-(
by wa2ibm » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:45 pm
Oops - well, it seems they may have dropped that feature. Since I already have 4 static IP's on my legacy DSL account (I'm behind an RT as well), it showed me the choice of 1, 2, or 4. Maybe I should have noticed that it didn't offer me an option of dynamic IP.

In any case, give support a call and see what they say. Ask, in a polite tone, if the option of a free static IP for DSL is no longer available (since it was at one time).
by malch » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:11 pm
Thanks. I just spoke with a very clueful support rep. He told me:
1. Static IP is a (free) option for Fusion customers.
2. Static IP is available for DSL customers but only in blocks of 8 IP's and for a fee. In my case, it would increase the bill from $40/mo to $70/mo. That delta is way more than I can justify!
by desertflyer » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:29 pm
Bummer! That's too bad for legacy customers.
9 posts Page 1 of 1