Why can I not get fiber access when there is a fiber access box at my driveway?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by Erik Weyker » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:09 pm
I have been waiting 2 years since you installed fiber on Watertrough Rd. in Sebastopol. When your crew parked in front of my house for a week, I was excited that fiber would soon be available now that I have a fiber access vault (box) at my driveway.
Unfortunately, Sonic still will not sell me any fiber service. Unfortunately it appears this work was done only to provide access to the local schools.

Now that my family works from home the ADSL2+ service uplink speed no longer works for me. I need to find a better solution and so far it looks like I must changed to Comcast since Sonic will not provide any other options. I have had poor customer service with Comcast in the past and regret having to give them my business.

I need to come up with a solution the allows me to work, my wife to teach, and my daughter to take classes remotely at the same time. This year we made it work by changing our schedules to avoid overloading our internet connect. Unfortunately with the upcoming school year in which the local schools have decided to go to a online synchronous classroom plan, I am assuming the worst, since we all need to be online at the same time. My main problem is the slow uplink saturates and brings everyone internet down.

Is there any service the Sonic offers that can solve my problem or should I simply switch to Comcast? Maybe I will need to get both and have two network providers.

Thanks,

Erik
by tony.b » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:25 am
Hi there Erik,
I wanted to reach out and see if I could set up a time to call you and go over the issues that you brought up. I know that we are trying to expand our Fiber residential services in your area still, and I want you to know that we are here to help in any way we can. I was going to ask that you respond with a good time for me to reach out to you to the number we have on your account so that we can talk about the options.
Thank you for reaching out, and I hope to hear from you soon.
Tony Sonic Supervisor
by Erik Weyker » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:28 pm
Tony,

You can reach me after 11 in the morning.

Thanks,

Erik
by dane » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:55 pm
The fiber line on Watertrough is a backbone cable, and it doesn't have end-user serving capabilities as a result. It is just serving the school there, as you noted.

We are hopeful that we'll have the ability to expand our end-user serving capabilities in Sebastopol in the future. We're finally beginning to make some progress here in Sonoma County on that front, after a long period of only doing major enterprise users such as SMART, schools, and business parks. Petaluma has been our first fiber to the home launch here since our initial pilot build-out in Sebastopol, so it's nice to see some residential activity in our home market.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
4 posts Page 1 of 1