Verizon Project "One Fiber San Francisco ...."

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by george.belle » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:23 pm
I was walking down 22nd St. in SF the other day and saw the (attached) notice posted. What caught my attention was this: "The Verizon Project "One Fiber San Francisco-22nd Street Conduit Installation project"...
Have there been any changes to the city rules that allow for installation of fiber where utilities are buried? Is Verizon able to have this fiber installed since it sounds like it's happening alongside a separate water main installation project?

I'm stuck on Guerrero with DSL since our utilities are buried, so anything like this piques my interest!

Attachments

by larns576 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:02 pm
Trenched conduit has always been allowed. It's just expensive.

Sonic was advocating microtrenching, which is a direct burial trenchless install. That still isn't allowed.

No changes.
by bubba198 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:44 am
It's amazing how difficult it is to build essential infrastructure in San Francisco. I guess this is what we get for being "progressive" which of course is a fallacy since we all know - those who pound themselves in the chest as being something are in practice the opposite - just like the best place on earth - Venezuela LOL

Microtrenching initiative was botched by our "awesome" supervisors in a way which makes it useless for practical construction hence to this day we're still either aerial or nothing :)

I have a friend in rural Minnesota and each community works directly with the fiber carrier to secure "a POP nearby" and then the customers pitch in for the last run from the highway to their property. Not a bad model IMHO
3 posts Page 1 of 1