Lame Internet Service/Support/Equipment

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by jsbarone » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:28 am
Sebastopol resident here. Like many who read the PD article ~2yrs ago (about every 6mos really) about Sonic's fiber expansions in Sebastopol, I've been waiting and it's still not here. It's really frustrating to still not have it after sticking with the poor performing Fusion service this whole time. It's finally looking like time to ditch the sunk cost and switch to Comcast or some other competing ISP. I get ~12mbps tops at $50 a month. I'm sold terrible quality ZTE Equipment that fails just barely after its 1yr warranty period is up, and am told I can switch to renting one of your AT&T style Pace modems for the low price of only $6.50 a month. That works out to subsidizing a new modem for Sonic every six months (6.1 months @ $6.50/mo on an approx ~$40 modem, 9mos if $60). Classy, dude.

What's going on here? What happened to Sonic being awesome and taking care of their customers? Why is sonic overcharging customers for equipment rental? Why do I still pay so much for poor quality service? I used to think Usenet was a nice perk but that's barely there either (and probably going away too, right?) so now I'm left with Sonic's vapid commitment to getting Fiber to Sebastopol some day and slow/unreliable internet speeds. Your technicians just set and unset the same line settings over and over again, never actually addressing anything, just shifting blame from one place to another. Maybe when Sonic gets over trying to expand into every other ISP category (fiber to business, san francisco, tv, phones) and just focuses on the people that built the company in the first place---it's consumer base. Remember that you're competing here too, and just because your competition is a bunch of turds (looking at AT&T, Comcast) doesn't mean Sonic should act like one. I've been a customer off and on since dial-up so I know a thing or two about the company and how it operates. It seems the ship is drifting off course into dangerous corporate territory and I hope Mr. Jasper can see it.
by Guest » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:27 pm
fwiw, I just received a random modem in the mail---it would only make sense if it was from Sonic. It arrived with no note or anything, no documentation or reason why it was sent. I'm guessing the call from a supervisor I was supposed to get within 24-48 hours (48 hours ago as of now) came in the form of this modem, but a call or email would've been nice along with it!
by jsbarone » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:00 pm
Okay, so the modem thing turned out to be a embarrassing fail on my part. I didn't notice the voicemail left by a supervisor at sonic (vince) who was very nice and sent me a replacement modem. Everything works fine now and I'm satisfied. I do still have some (ideological) issues with the fiber/modem rental thing, but I think I've talked those opinions up well enough on the forum to have sufficiently represented them so I'll call this a closed case. Thank you.
3 posts Page 1 of 1