"Important changes coming to your AT&T Internet"

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
8 posts Page 1 of 1
by douglips » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:31 am
I have had Sonic.net DSL over my AT&T wires now for about a year or so. I just started getting snail mails from AT&T like this:
Today, your high-speed internet service is provided over our traditional broadband network. Your neighborhood is a high network traffic area, and to provide a better internet experience, we're proactively transitioning some customers who live in your area to the advanced AT&T U-verse network with fiber-optic technology.

We're excited to tell you that within the next 45 days, we'll be moving your internet service to the AT&T U-verse network! The change is free and you can keep your current speeds at a price that meets or beats your current price. However, you'll need new equipment...
Note that I don't have AT&T service (except the sonic service goes over AT&T copper), so I don't know what this means. They have a history of ignoring the fact that I cancelled their crappy DSL a year ago after they couldn't figure out why they were suddenly charging me $100/month too much - they keep sending me junk mail to add this or that to my "internet service".

There's a number I'm supposed to call to "ensure you don't lose service after the transition".

What does this mean for a sonic.net subscriber? Are they doing this because on the fiber network they don't have to open the lines for providers like sonic? Am I stuck going back to their crappy customer service? Or is this a trick, and if I call them they'll try to get me to switch but if I ignore them I stay on sonic?
by bobrk » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:19 am
This happened to me last year. They will claim it was "a mistake" to send the letter.
by bobrk » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:20 am
Here was the thread:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=810
by dane » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:52 pm
AT&T has again improperly informed our customers that they must switch to AT&T Uverse service. This is not correct, please disregard.

It would be helpful if you forward any communications from them you get to support@sonic.net. They say they've resolved this issue again, but we are hearing they have continued to contact our customers. Grrrr.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Guest » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:48 pm
dane wrote:AT&T has again improperly informed our customers that they must switch to AT&T Uverse service. This is not correct, please disregard.
I got a call around a week ago from AT&T claiming "since you have U-verse, would you like this special package...?" I told them I don't have U-verse, they were shocked "what, your TV doesn't work?"

I can sense their feelers trying to encroach on other providers' customers.
by dane » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:08 pm
They claim that this was done in error, and honestly I do think it was incompetence rather than malice.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by bobrk » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:10 pm
Yeah but they did it last year too. They must be getting SOME switchovers.
by dane » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:27 pm
bobrk wrote:Yeah but they did it last year too. They must be getting SOME switchovers.
Even incompetence has its rewards.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
8 posts Page 1 of 1