Google Nest Wifi and Sonic

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
8 posts Page 1 of 1
by wannabeswede » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:42 am
Back at the end of may I replaced my Wifi Router with Google's Nest Wifi Mesh hardware.

Since then I have had a reoccurring problem where the WiFi connection is fine but internet connection is lost, if I turn off WiFi on device and back on everything if fine until it randomly happens again.

I've had a case open with Google since the end of May their latest idea is replacing the Nest Router.

They are also blaming Sonic as I don't have a "modem". Below is a statement stating why they think I need a "modem"

"I got your ping test. if the issue persist coordinate with your ISP since the EAPOL timeout is still happening and if you could request for a modem that would be perfect"

I've let them know that if I do searches for this issue it shows others having it also and how I've had 3 other WiFi routers that never had this issue.

If the hardware replacement doesn't work they think I should talk to Sonic about configuration changes because I have a mesh system.

Is anyone else using a Nest Wifi system and if so are you having issues?

Or does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
by dane » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:40 pm
What kind of Sonic connection and equipment do you have?

Consider our mesh WiFi solution too, it’s tested and supported by Sonic: http://sonic.com/betterwifi
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by jnath » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:02 pm
Hi wannabeswede

>Back at the end of may I replaced my Wifi Router with Google's Nest Wifi Mesh hardware.

Were you able to get your setup to work with Sonic's Fiber service?

I'm thinking of buying Google's Nest Wifi router

Thanks
by dane » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:04 am
Sorry to hear the Google equipment isn’t working. We wouldn’t be able to assist with that.

Please use the Sonic option for whole-home mesh WiFi. It works great, and we can support it end to end.

You can select WiFi equipment in the Member Tools, at https://members.sonic.net/
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by radeyes » Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:42 pm
I have Sonic Fiber (re-sold AT&T U-verse) and Nest mesh Wifi (router + 1 point) working fine.

My Sonic/AT&T-provided modem/router is the ultra-crappy Motorola NVG589, configured in "IP Passthrough" mode. The fiber ONT wall-mounted box is connected to the red port of the NVG589, and the only thing I have plugged into the NVG589 yellow LAN ports is my Nest Wifi router.

Some notes/tips:
  • I roughly followed these steps to use the IP Passthrough mode on the modem: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/17734
  • this piece of garbage modem still filters packets, despite enabling 'IP Passthrough', and disabling 'Packet Filter' options. I had to explicitly add Google's nameservers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) to the packet filter list to prevent occasional packet drops that were resulting in DNS failures.
  • I similarly had to explicitly add rules for my company's videoconference IPs (BlueJeans) to get that working, which was a huge pain in the ass for working from home this year until I discovered this workaround.
by lasevich » Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:34 am
FWIW, probably not the same thing, but I have a somewhat similar problems with Sonic's DSL fusion and PACE Modem in passthrough mode with Google Wifi. But the problems started before Google Wifi, so I am pretty sure it is not the core culprit. In the end, the issue is most likely with the Sonic PACE modem as it shows no problems, but sometimes just stops passing packets. Rebooting it helps, so now I have a system rigged up that probes the connection, and if it drops, power-cycles the modem. Seems to happen every week or two, usually while modem is under a heavy load (big download/large transfer).
by kevinlurie » Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:00 am
I am experiencing a similar issue using the Google nest router + 3 access points. Since the switch to Sonic from ATT, my home wired internet connection does not work. Wifi works fine, but the wired connection shows "no internet connection". All worked fine with the ATT modem, so I think the Sonic modem is the issue, as nothing else has changed. I could try a new router/mesh system, but I really like the functionality of the Google system (parental controls, use as speakers, etc). Would love to hear if anyone has further thoughts. Thanks
by gbrivkalns001 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:43 pm
kevinlurie wrote:I am experiencing a similar issue using the Google nest router + 3 access points. Since the switch to Sonic from ATT, my home wired internet connection does not work. Wifi works fine, but the wired connection shows "no internet connection". All worked fine with the ATT modem, so I think the Sonic modem is the issue, as nothing else has changed. I could try a new router/mesh system, but I really like the functionality of the Google system (parental controls, use as speakers, etc). Would love to hear if anyone has further thoughts. Thanks
FWIW here is what my ethernet topology is:

ONT > Firewalla Purple Router > EERO6 (bridge mode) > Unmanaged Switch > 2nd EERO6

Flawless wireless and ethernet connectivity.

I got the Firewalla since it provides more network insight and control than eero's crappy subscription service does. Not quite prosumer.

That being said, it was also flawless when I didn't have the Firewalla and just used the first EERO as the router.
8 posts Page 1 of 1