Denial of Service attacks at a customer site

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by kell12 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:54 pm
I am the unhappy receiver of Denial of Service attacks that Sonic seems uninterested in helping me resolve. I have complained three times, sent examples of the modem logs and each time all I get is a "yawn" from Sonic Support. They seem to point at the level of such attacks as being LOW right now as though that somehow assists me. I have limited resources available to be able to resolve this DOS nonsense myself and think that Sonic.Net has far more resources and knowledge that would allow them to at least ID the culprit or culprits. Maybe I'm wrong, just live with it, ce' normale' et al. Is that what I'm supposed to do?
by dane » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:51 pm
Why are you being attacked?
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by kell12 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:02 am
I have no idea. I do not visit "dark" sites or others and the information provided does not make the origin of these "attacks" clear. I simply thought that the support persons at Sonic could decode these messages and using tools that Sonic knows of and must use for your own such attacks to interrogate mine. Apparently not. I will go away mystified somewhat as your support guys and gals have done yeoman service for me in the past but this is apparently too much. Thank you for your time.
Howard N. Lute
eBay: Kell
hnlute@sonic.net
by digitalbitstream » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:18 pm
What's the impact on you for these incidents? Keep in mind that some level of background attacks is normal and expected. If the attack world went silent now THAT would be strange and worth investigating.
by kell12 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:09 pm
Truth be known, there is little actual impact from these attacks except the knowledge that they occur commonly and are regarded as "no big deal" unless they ruin your day. This I did NOT know, I am NOT an IT person and have heard nothing about this commonality until now. I thank you for your time.
HNLute
eBay: KELL
by torstenb » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:11 am
kell12 wrote:I am the unhappy receiver of Denial of Service attacks that Sonic seems uninterested in helping me resolve. I have complained three times, sent examples of the modem logs and each time all I get is a "yawn" from Sonic Support. They seem to point at the level of such attacks as being LOW right now as though that somehow assists me. I have limited resources available to be able to resolve this DOS nonsense myself and think that Sonic.Net has far more resources and knowledge that would allow them to at least ID the culprit or culprits. Maybe I'm wrong, just live with it, ce' normale' et al. Is that what I'm supposed to do?
Not sure whether analyzing and researching DoS attacks should be or would be part of the responsibilities of an ISP. I doubt, however, that any ISP would offer this as part of their support service for free. You may be better off looking for 3rd party providers to analyze it and come up with a solution.

That being said, do you have a static or a dynamic IP as part of your account setup? If you have a static IP, a solution could be to switch to a dynamic IP, which changes now and then and therefor DoS attacks may disappear. But make no mistake, there are people and organizations out there who constantly scan across the internet to find devices that are unprotected and could be breached. As Sonic.net support may have mentioned, you'll almost certainly see some level of pings, DoS attacks, and then some coming your way.
by kell12 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:04 pm
I'm fine now that I know the normalcy of such attacks. I had changed Modems from the Motorola DSL modem to a Netgear one. It had the option ON to receive emails regarding such attacks and that is why the sudden freak out from me about the frequency and amount of them. I could simply turn the option off and calm down but now I've gotten curious and am indeed doing my own research for my own edification. Thank you kindly for the lesson Sonic Support person(s), it was sorely needed.
HNLute
7 posts Page 1 of 1