Intermittent Drops, Router Works but No Internet Connection

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by ike348 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:00 pm
Hello,

I have noticed an issue over the past couple of months. A couple of times a day, my internet connection completely drops. I stay connected to my local Wi-Fi connection, so clearly the router is still working, but no traffic is able to get through. This lasts for just a short time (30 seconds max) before everything is working again. This issue is completely unpredictable and not reproducible. Normally, this wouldn't be a problem, but if I'm downloading a large file, it will be completely interrupted, and if I am on a Zoom call, I get completely disconnected. Thankfully, this hasn't happened while I have been teaching yet!

I have tried the basic steps, like unplugging my router and resetting it. FWIW, I have the SmartRG SR515AC, and I am connected to Fiber.

This issue is very hard to diagnose as it only lasts for a few seconds (so I can't see what the router or modem are saying when it does happen). I won't even know if a potential solution "works" until a day or two goes by with no issues. I am just wondering if this sounds familiar to anyone else and what steps they took to remedy it.
by jerrielm » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:06 am
Hello!

Have you tried connection your computer straight to the ONT to see if the issue happens there as well? Let me know the results that you get!

Best Wishes!
by pmpowers » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:42 pm
Hello,

My roommate and I have experienced similar issues - over the last few months as well, according to him. I haven't really kept track. These are small service interruptions, perhaps 1~5 minutes in duration a few times a day, in addition to slower wi-fi than we are used to.

Sonic customer service has been pretty good in my experience, so I am hoping there is a way to resolve these issues. Is this the sort of thing the "eero" extender is for?

I prefer this company chiefly because of their stance on an open internet and individual privacy, so I would really hate to have to look for another service; but of course everybody in the household has their say. (Typing this while on hold with Sonic's support line.)
by jcblueeyes » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:16 pm
I have had issues similar to this but was able to access my router or even just use Network Connections in Win10 to see that the issue was loss of connection to the DNS servers. I would then enter other DNS addresses such as OpenDNS or Google in my router and switch to using these. I also called Sonic support and they found that my DNS cache on their end was full so they flushed it and that helped a lot. Since then I have downloaded e freeware program called DNSJumper. This allows you to quickly test the fastest DNS servers and switch to them if you want, and also to flush your DNS cache locally. However, not sure if switching the DNS servers using the program works since the DNS server is already set in my router.

Hope this helps!

- Chas
by zaylyn » Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:20 pm
I have an ATT gateway connected to the Eero mesh router. The Wi-Fi / router on the gateway is turned off. At least 4 times in the last 2 weeks the gateway stopped working (red light on it) and needed rebooting. Ethernet connections directly into the gateway modem do not work. The Eero white light remains on. Interesting this has occurred about 4:39 pm every time.
by syntaxsid1 » Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:17 am
If your lights on your AT&T gateway turn red, this would be an issue with the signal getting TO your gateway rather than a routing or WiFi issue. It would be recommended to call Sonic support so we can send AT&T to investigate. If they exterior lines getting to you look good, they will replace your AT&T gateway on suspicion. This way they can check for a bad splice, faulty jumper in the transition box etc. We look forward to hearing from you so we can resolve this for you ASAP. Take care.
Jeff M. with Community Escalations @ Sonic
6 posts Page 1 of 1