Experience with Sonic IPBB (AT&T resold fiber) in June 2020

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by jessieandrob » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:55 pm
Just wanted to share our recent experience getting a new Sonic IPBB install, and it was a good experience!

We moved to a new place in El Cerrito. Unfortunately both our old and new homes do not get Sonic's own fiber, but we are able to get AT&T's resold fiber at the new place. We called Sonic on June 16 to let them know of the move, and the customer rep knew the process well.

He was careful to set expectations about when the AT&T tech could be scheduled to come out. We knew it might be a few days especially with coronavirus safety measures added in.

We got an email on June 23 scheduling the install for June 25 between 11am and 3pm. Not too bad of a turnaround.

On the 25th, the AT&T tech (Kevin) arrived at noon. Interestingly I got a text and email from Sonic right after the tech arrived, asking me to call in if I had any difficulty with the install. Seemed automated, but doing that when they know the AT&T tech is onsite is a nice touch.

I had scouted out our new home a bit and wanted the fiber drop to run from outside our garage to a central closet in the middle of the house. I thought it was going to have to go through our attic but the tech noticed our crawlspace would work better for all involved...

One glitch: the utility pole we both thought would have the drop was not nearby. Kevin took the extra effort to call other techs to see if they could get him some extra fiber so the drop could reach. If he couldn't he said he'd have to reschedule for another day. He ended up being able to get an extra run of fiber after some calling around. For once it felt like AT&Ts techs were trying to genuinely help!

After that the install went smoothly. Kevin was even kind enough to install the ONT in a specific spot so I could set up a small network rack later. Everything took around 4.5 hours, not too bad.

If you're getting a Sonic IPBB install, be sure to scout your home first for where you'd like the tech to run the fiber line and where you want it to terminate (aka where you want the ONT). Know your home so you can help the tech figure out the best (and least difficult!) route to run the fiber.

And if any Sonic employees are reading this, please pass my thanks to Kevin from AT&T for his professional and *super patient* help on the install. He went above and beyond what I was expecting. Glad that Sonic is working with AT&T to hammer out the customer experience.
by dct » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:13 am
Hey jessieandrob,

Thanks for the report! It sounds like there were a couple opportunities for the situation to go sideways, but I'm glad Kevin was able to get it installed for you. There's a meeting where we discuss situations like this tomorrow morning, and I'll make sure Kevin gets the praise he deserves. We really appreciate your thoughtful and detailed writeup about your experience.

Please reach out if you need anything moving forward!
Dan T.
Community & Escalations Manager
707-547-3400
@Sonic
2 posts Page 1 of 1