Disconnect every 5 minutes, firewall DHCP?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
33 posts Page 2 of 4
by thoth » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:44 pm
Oh, Fusion.
by Guest » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:03 pm
I am having the same exact issue. lost connection every 3-5 minutes. Streaming and all downloads would freeze.I called sonic tech and got suggestion that I need a new modem which they lease for 6.50 a month.
by desertflyer » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:28 pm
Guest wrote:I am having the same exact issue. lost connection every 3-5 minutes. Streaming and all downloads would freeze.I called sonic tech and got suggestion that I need a new modem which they lease for 6.50 a month.
You can buy a new modem if you want, but the modem they support is a monthly fee.
by thoth » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:03 pm
I bought a brand new NETGEAR modem (PSP111 or something like that) and no help.

Something is up here. I have a pretty vanilla system. Windows 7 64-bit, no router, wired right into new modem, bridged modem, and just avast installed now (standard settings) and still having this issue.

I think Sonic really needs to look into this.
by bongos » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:16 pm
I've been experiencing the same problem - everything was fine and then all of a sudden, starting a week or so ago, internet would drop every five minutes. I then will turn off/on the modem and the connection comes back for five minutes or so, and then drops again...

Very frustrating.

Numerous calls to Sonic, they've been good about troubleshooting, but ultimately suspects it's the modem.

So I bought an Actiontec GT701D (don't want to rent something) - which worked great for five days and then just stopped.

The problem now is that I can't configure it anymore: trying the IP address they give in the guide yields a "cannot open the page" type error. Resetting doesn't help. Tech support on both Actiontec's and Sonic's didn't yield results.

Will return and try a new one...

Seems though that numerous people are having a similar issue which started rearing it's head at the same time. Perhaps a coincidence?
by thoth » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:02 pm
If you set that new modem up as bridged then you can't access it's settings via browser anymore. Have to physically reset using button on the back.
by thoth » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:03 pm
And this has been an issue for me for about 6 months now. For some reason I think it drops less when I call tech support and have them lower my speed to something like 3down/768up.
by desertflyer » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:17 pm
Honestly, if you're anyone is having problems for 6 months and can't get to the bottom of it, they should strongly consider renting the modem from Sonic. It'll let you know if it really is the modem or the line, and Sonic tech support will have more stats to use in troubleshooting. It's not a huge investment to get a reliable connection.
by digitalbitstream » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:27 am
thoth wrote:I have a pretty vanilla system. Windows 7 64-bit, no router, wired right into new modem, bridged modem, and just avast installed now (standard settings) and still having this issue.
I think Sonic really needs to look into this.
Windows directly to a router in bridge mode is super risky, from a virus and windows bug perspective.
Hide that machine behind a router... and as a bonus your DHCP problem will likely go away.
Sonic would be within rights to discourage such a setup (just based on the potential for virus / mallware if nothing else).
by thoth » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:25 am
Yeah a router might be something to try. Thanks for the reminder. And heads up re:viruses.
33 posts Page 2 of 4