Long time customer wanting to upgrade, but way too expensive

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by pmccolgan » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:59 pm
Been a Sonic customer for many years, renting my modem every month too (even though used my own)
I was wanting to upgrade from my slow 10Mbps to the 50Mbps plan. Entered my address online and was quoted $60 + modem rental + taxes.
Called the number and talked with V. She told me that actually it was $70 (bait and switch for existing customers?) plus an additional $16/month equipment rental plus taxes. Also she said I had to rent.
So all in all about $95/month for 50Mbps plus a landline phone number.
Very disappointed.... time to give up my phone number and look elsewhere. V didn't seem to care in the slightest that she was about to lose an old customer.
by orm » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:00 pm
Hey Pmc~,

Does sound steep... on the other hand, the cost of living and doing business in this area is continuing to rise! Sounds like you're in a hard to serve niche I've often found myself in. Some products just cost more to maintain/offer per unit. Many companies just eliminate those products outright, double the cost for "legacy" customers, etc. I think sonic is pretty much the best thing around. Despite that "review", it's a company, for profit, run by people. It's not perfect. In the age of build-to-fail planned obsolescence, I would advise you you're risking a lot by leaving them if you so decide.

That being said, crapcast can perhaps slightly beat that price "in contract" with either a 25mbps max or 200mbps "max", but you don't get a phone... so...
oh, did i mention it's from crapcast? For a recent experience, check this out:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16046

switching to AT&T is sort of like considering sawing off both arms using your feet, because then you'll collect disability or something... i'd rather literally hurt myself (though not by dismemberment) than deal with them.

Sonics CSR's are not the best every time, no way. But, i don't think it's possible to be efficient and polite >all< the time. Overall I don't think sonics customer service is generally beaten anywhere. It's not fair to compare say the inquiry line for a retail product where their job is to just read some specs sheets to you as politely as possible and that's all they have to do all day. I have had some frustrating times indeed, but I've learned that if I rent their hardware, I'm in a much better position. Some reps are more or less helpful depending on that variable. It's even worse for crapcast though, if you're using your own modem sometimes a cc rep won't even talk to you! You wanna rent wherever you go, trust.
2 posts Page 1 of 1