Privacy: guest network and wired Eero

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
8 posts Page 1 of 1
by sojoja » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:13 am
I have a three pack of eeros. I'm planning on wiring the two satellite eeros via a splitter connected to the gateway eero. I'm also going to enable the guest network through the eero interface. One of the satellite eeros will be in an in-law unit used for short-term rentals.

My question: what would happen if a guest disconnected the ethernet cable going into the satellite eero and plugged it into their own device? Would the guest then be off the guest network and (potentially) connected to the rest of my devices that are hooked up to the regular (non-guest) network? Or would they need the password to the main/non-guest network in order to log on?

Thanks for the help.
by brandonc » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:35 pm
Yes, if someone were to plug their device directly into the Eero, then it would give their device access to the main network along with your own devices since their device would have a direct connection to the Eero. They wouldn't need a password or log on to connect either, however they would not be able to change any settings without the Eero app and your log on information.

There are further security settings that you can delve into on the Eero app that might allow you to configure the main network in such a way that it would only allow specific authorized addresses to connect to the network, while still leaving the guest network active for other devices.

Here's the link to our knowledge base article on configuring your device : https://help.sonic.com/hc/en-us/article ... ess-System

If what you're trying to do isn't covered there, then it's likely something we won't be able to assist you with, though it doesn't mean it's not possible. In that case, you can contact Eero or search Eero forums for advanced setting configurations that would accommodate what you're trying to achieve.

Regards,
Brandon C.
Community and Escalations
Sonic
by dane » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:08 pm
Physical access to the Ethernet means access to the network, generally speaking. One potential solution is to put the Ethernet and device into a locked space such as a closet.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by js9erfan » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:38 pm
If you can't put the Eero it in a secured or unreachable space then you could keep it simple by installing a locking device on either end of the ethernet cable so guests can't disconnect it (see cable and lock for example). Otherwise you would need to configure that particular wall port/switchport to only permit clients/devices you grant the ability to obtain an IP from your main LAN and I don't know that Eero has that capability (e.g. 802.1x, etc.).
by sojoja » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:22 pm
Many thanks for all of the helpful replies!
by sojoja » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:51 pm
A follow-up question: let's say I do _not_ wire the eero that's in the guest room. So a guest would only be able to log on via wifi to the guest network. What if the guest plugged an ethernet cable into that eero (that is not wired to the gateway)? Would they effectively be plugging into the main (non-guest) network even though that eero isn't wired? Or would they still be plugging into the guest network? Thanks for the advice!
by dane » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:30 pm
The Ethernet would output the primary network. That’s why you’d need to put the Eero in a secured cabinet or closet.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by sojoja » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:32 pm
Got it. Thank you!
8 posts Page 1 of 1