Request for fiber: East San Rafael 94901

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
16 posts Page 1 of 2
by frankd » Sat May 30, 2020 10:44 am
Hi Sonic Team - Our options are limited in the 94901 area of San Rafael. AT&T DSL or Xfinity. I wouldn't consider either of them a real high-speed option. Latency is high on both up/down and the upload speeds are abysmal. Please let us know what you need in terms of demand in order to bring Sonic Gigabit to this corner of San Rafael.
by Coryb » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:24 pm
Yes, please! Been waiting for Sonic for years here. Thank you
by tellec » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:16 pm
Yes please! Comcast charges silly fees for abysmal service with an attitude, and AT&T’s DSL is just too slow for modern broadband needs. We’re in Santa Venetia but would LOVE to support a local business bringing gigabit fiber to Marin.
by Iangray » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:46 am
Please please please!
by belindabrad » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:43 am
Sonic would be awesome, we would sign up immediately
by bsupakrunk » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:39 pm
Please!!! Would love to have real gigabit internet in East SR! Lots of families working from home in East SR in tech And other industries and we need more reliable internet!
by ewhac » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:20 pm
I grew up in 94901. The hills surrounding San Rafael have been poorly served for decades (in no small part because of the narrow twisty roads). I don't think any of the wireline infrastructure has been touched since the cable service was named Viacom. (Does anyone know who owns the poles in SR?)

From Dane's perspective, however, I don't think he can make it pencil out. Near as I can tell, he uses DSL subscriptions to gauge interest in (and partially fund) fiber expansion into an area. However, the copper infrastructure in SR is awful from decades of benign neglect -- functionally, his service would be indistinguishable from AT&T's. So there's no reason for anyone to switch, even with the promise of fiber At A Date To Be Named Later.

While this model is fiscally prudent and conserves cash, IMHO it has a huge opportunity cost. Because all the incumbents have let the infrastructure go to seed, SR would be a good area for "speculative" deployment of fiber, because A) Marin is generally rather wealthy so subscription fees wouldn't be an issue; and B) it would be so obviously, significantly better than what everyone has been forced to endure that switching would be a no-brainer. I daresay he'd get 30 - 50% uptake almost instantly. But then, that's just Monday morning quarterbacking from me...
by ewhac » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:56 pm
ewhac wrote:While this model is fiscally prudent and conserves cash, IMHO it has a huge opportunity cost. [ ... ] I daresay he'd get 30 - 50% uptake almost instantly. But then, that's just Monday morning quarterbacking from me...
I'd just like to add that, while Dane has been frustratingly silent on many of Sonic's bizops details -- and while I do occasionally give voice to that frustration here -- every so often he drops a nugget of info that demonstrates a very deep understanding of the telecom industry marketplace and the regulatory framework in which he operates.

So, just to be clear: I'm not slamming Dane. Sonic could easily have collapsed years ago under lesser leadership. I think he's clearly a well-educated, well-informed, very sharp guy.
by Mel » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:51 am
Yes please
by Jeff » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:01 pm
We currently have top level Comcast, but would instantly jump to fiber to the home.
16 posts Page 1 of 2