User Supplied Router with Fiber Connection

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by marioguttman » Thu May 14, 2020 5:17 pm
I have a fiber account and am considering replacing the rented SmartRG SR515AC CPE gateway with my own router. There are two reasons I want to do this:
1. Create a wireless access point that is in a different location than the router.
2. Avoid the monthly rental fee.

I’m interested in any advice. After some research I have settled on the TP-Link Safestream Multi WAN VPN Router (TL-R600VPN) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007B60SCG
1. Does anyone have any experience with using this router? Do you see any issues with using it?
2. Is there anything special I need to do to set it up? From the Sonic Routers FAQ I see that I need to use DHCP (not PPPoE) to configure the WAN. I am able to plug the CAT5 WAN cable from the Sonic modem directly into my computer; does this mean I can just plug it into the router?

Obviously, I’m not an expert but can generally work through technical issues.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
by dane » Fri May 15, 2020 8:29 am
For more complete WiFi coverage, consider: http://sonic.com/betterwifi

For customers on fiber with a Sonic traditional combined router and access point, swapping that out (-$9.50/mo) for the mesh WiFi ($12/mo for three access points) is just $2.50/mo more but about 3x the WiFi coverage. It’s a great option.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by marioguttman » Fri May 15, 2020 11:12 am
Thanks for getting back to me.

The Sonic and EERO web pages are a little light on the technical information.
1. Is the Sonic offering the EERO, EERO-PRO or the EERO Becon?
2. Is one of the devices the main hub that attaches to the internet cable? Can I plug a switch in here to connect the rest of my wired network?
3. Are the remote devices wired back to the primary device?

A technical page on this option would be useful.

Thanks, Mario
by larns576 » Fri May 15, 2020 11:38 am
If you are trying to separate the Router from the Wireless Access Points, then yes - that TPLink model will work. Just plug it into your ONT. You would also need to purchase a separate AP, for example a UAP AC-Pro or something similar.

If you're simply trying to move the Wireless gateway to a more centralized location for more even distribution of the signal, then just get a longer Cat5/6 cable and place the gateway where-ever it needs to be.

You can also opt for a mesh system as Dane suggested
by dane » Fri May 15, 2020 4:02 pm
marioguttman wrote:Thanks for getting back to me.

The Sonic and EERO web pages are a little light on the technical information.
1. Is the Sonic offering the EERO, EERO-PRO or the EERO Becon?
2. Is one of the devices the main hub that attaches to the internet cable? Can I plug a switch in here to connect the rest of my wired network?
3. Are the remote devices wired back to the primary device?

A technical page on this option would be useful.

Thanks, Mario
We've tried to keep it simple, because it's really flexible and as a result, more complex to explain than just "do".

Sonic offers all of the Eero products. The newer dual-band "Eero" is available, as is the Eero Pro which offers tri-band. One of these two is a necessary component because it's the main starting point that connects via Ethernet. Behind it, you can connect a switch for Ethernet devices.

Then for the mesh itself, you can have any combination of dual-band Eero and tri-band Eero Pro units, and either of those can be wired, if you have existing Ethernet. You can also opt for the Beacon, which is wireless only and dual-band.

The hot setup, if you've got wiring to all the access point locations is the newer and less costly Eero. It doesn't need tri-band if there are no wireless repeating devices. If you don't plan to use the Beacon, you can save by making this selection.

The best setup, if you do not have wiring to all of the access point locations, is the Eero Pro, because building a mesh with tri-band preserves speed through a hop because it can serve a client on one frequency while it talks to it's upstream unit on another.

The role of the Beacon is primarily hallways and similar spots where you don't have available Ethernet to feed the unit, or a need for an Ethernet output for a client device. The Beacon has a night-light function, and it's small and tidy with no wires.

The http://sonic.com/betterwifi page leads to a Member Tool which will let you mix & match the devices into a configuration and get started. It'll also manage the return of your current Sonic router, which is applicable for Fiber customers. And then you can always use that Member Tool to add or remove devices in the future - you might find for example that you've got a gap in coverage, or want to add an Eero in the garage in the future, etc.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by KarenR » Tue May 19, 2020 7:22 pm
I am a Sonic customer and music teacher. I'm transitioning to teaching voice lessons on Zoom and am told that having my computer connect via cable directly into my router is best for sound quality and decreases sound latency. I will need to purchase a new router for my teaching area and would like to know the best type and brand that will be compatible with my Sonic Wifi. Many thanks for this chat and information.
by dane » Wed May 20, 2020 12:26 pm
KarenR wrote:I am a Sonic customer and music teacher. I'm transitioning to teaching voice lessons on Zoom and am told that having my computer connect via cable directly into my router is best for sound quality and decreases sound latency. I will need to purchase a new router for my teaching area and would like to know the best type and brand that will be compatible with my Sonic Wifi. Many thanks for this chat and information.
Yes, having a wired connection is best for consistent performance and lower latency. But, is there Ethernet wiring from the location where the Sonic fiber box is currently located to the teaching area? Without that, a router won't help - you already likely have a router, supplied by Sonic - the issue is the wire from one room to the other.

If you do want a mesh WiFi solution for better wireless coverage, I would suggest our Eero mesh WiFi solution. See http://sonic.com/betterwifi for details on that.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
7 posts Page 1 of 1