Fibre router and modem recommendation with NAS

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by JohnMLB » Wed May 13, 2020 11:52 pm
Howdy all,

Pretty happy customer of Sonic. I’m now considering paying a few more bucks for the mesh system to get faster speeds but I’m also on the lookout for any non-rented options. I especially would like to access my collection of electronic documents remotely but I’m concerned about security and power usage. Does anyone have any suggestions for a modem/router solution with a NAS system so I can access my docs, music, etc remotely?
by js9erfan » Mon May 18, 2020 6:05 am
If you're referring to faster WiFi speeds then your best bet is to wire up a couple APs. A few years ago I got tired of dealing with WiFi extenders, ethernet powerline adapters, etc. and ended up wiring my whole house with cat 6a, installed a couple UniFi AC-LR APs and have been happy since. However, your WiFi speeds will depend on wireless client capability, quantity, interference, distance, etc... If you want to stick with a mesh system then you could just purchase one outright instead of renting through Sonic.

In regards to remote access I would consider purchasing a router with a built-in VPN server in order to securely access your LAN devices. There's quite a few options depending on your budget and most are pretty straightforward to setup. Personally, I like pfSense which is open source and allows you to scale the hardware to fit your needs instead of a consumer-grade router without long-term support that you'll end up replacing in a few years. pfSense also has a nice GUI and has just about every feature you'll ever need and more for a home network. You can purchase a loaded box straight from Netgate, a bare box from a vendor like Protectli or build your own.

Lastly, purchasing a NAS is the way to go or throw something like FreeNAS on an old PC. I have a couple Synology NAS boxes that have worked great for my needs (mainly serving files and redundant data backup). A much better solution vs sharing a single hard drive over a router via USB.
2 posts Page 1 of 1