Gigabit Fiber in Bernal Heights

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
126 posts Page 1 of 13
by Sando » Tue May 05, 2020 11:44 am
We would love Gigabit Fiber in Bernal Heights SF. Would love to donate to the Community Center here as well. Let's get this moving!
by jclerman » Tue May 05, 2020 2:11 pm
I was just thinking the same thing! Located on Mission St. near Precita Ave. Fusion DSL upload speeds are somewhat limiting and fiber would make a huge difference. Any plans for our neighborhood?
by dane » Tue May 05, 2020 2:48 pm
Bernal has been the region in SF with the largest number of failed/overloaded wood utility poles. The pole owners have a massive, years-long backlog in reinforcing and replacing poles to make them safe. Unfortunately, until that's done, we're stuck, unable to deploy due to safety.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by jclerman » Tue May 05, 2020 3:51 pm
Thanks Dane, that's very helpful to know. Is that the case even along Mission Street itself?
by dane » Tue May 05, 2020 3:57 pm
jclerman wrote:Thanks Dane, that's very helpful to know. Is that the case even along Mission Street itself?
I believe utilities may be underground on Mission. City of SF is currently not permitting new utility construction using trenchless methods such as directional boring or microtrenching, so until that's resolved, we're stuck. Supervisor Farrell was working on this, but his term ended before he was able to complete the legislation - and unfortunately without that pressure, DPW does not seem inclined to modernize their standards.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by adam » Thu May 14, 2020 4:32 pm
I do see that Sonic over at&t is available in parts of Bernal. Is this discussion about getting Sonic-native fiber available in the neighborhood? Would def love to see at&t out of the equation.
by hesse » Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:04 pm
Good to know. Insightful and frustrating at the same time. Can someone lift the mystery of who the "pole owners" are? (They just replaced the one crappy pole in our block.)
by syntaxsid1 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:58 pm
Hello,

Telephone poles are either owned by the telephone company or Power companies depending on their location. PG&E would likely be the best source of determining when they will replace a pole in a given area. This would depend on what project they have in the same area and where this lies in order of priority. I would check with them for specifics but I hope I'm able to point you in the right direction. Have a great day.

Kind Regards,

Jeff M.
Jeff M. with Community Escalations @ Sonic
by aatreya » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:03 pm
It looks like the poles on Crescent Ave in Bernal Heights have finally been reinforced. :)

Any chance you can let the construction team know to see if they can now build out fiber on this street?
by aatreya » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:56 am
Friendly ping on this :)
126 posts Page 1 of 13