Gigabit Fiber in Bernal Heights

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
128 posts Page 8 of 13
by lunulair » Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:53 am
Good god - just tell us where the trench has to go and we'll block traffic and dig it ourselves! Who's running this project?
by heglex » Sat Apr 22, 2023 3:20 pm
Anyone in Northwest Bernal have access?
by db2450 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:54 am
db2450 wrote:August 2024 now :shock:
Looks like this was just a typo. Updated to August 2023. Now the moving target doesn't feel so bad. Any chance someone did it on purpose :lol:
by lunulair » Sun May 14, 2023 7:55 pm
dcokenias wrote:Last October support sent me a link an in email. The link is tied to my specific address, so it's not for sharing.

I got the idea this is the new policy for most people waiting— instead of monthly emails, quarterly. And there's now a web page with estimated time the next phase starts.
I just went back through my Sonic email (which is only used for communicating with Sonic) and now cannot find any message with a status link. I did see it earlier this year. Did Sonic delete that message from my inbox?
by aatreya » Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:23 pm
Hi folks, any update on the deployment in our neighborhood? It's been nearly two years since I placed my "preorder"!
by brandonc » Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:03 pm
lunulair wrote:
dcokenias wrote:Last October support sent me a link an in email. The link is tied to my specific address, so it's not for sharing.

I got the idea this is the new policy for most people waiting— instead of monthly emails, quarterly. And there's now a web page with estimated time the next phase starts.
I just went back through my Sonic email (which is only used for communicating with Sonic) and now cannot find any message with a status link. I did see it earlier this year. Did Sonic delete that message from my inbox?
I'm sorry you're having trouble finding your status page email. We don't delete emails from user's inbox, but since it was sent awhile ago, you may have accidentally deleted it, which is no problem at all. I went ahead and re-sent your status email to the email we have for you on file.

Kind regards,
Brandon C.
Community and Escalations
Sonic
by brandonc » Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:08 pm
aatreya wrote:Hi folks, any update on the deployment in our neighborhood? It's been nearly two years since I placed my "preorder"!
We're currently in the construction phase for your area, which is the last stage before it's ready for installation. The current forecast is that it will be completed and ready for install sometime in August 2023.

Kind regards,
Brandon C.
Community and Escalations
Sonic
by rustyhodge » Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:54 pm
I supposed the parts of Bernal that have underground utilities will not be getting Sonic Fiber any time soon?

What about the areas that have overhead utilities but those lines go underground to connect with the rest of the grid?

I live on Treat Ave at Precita, and our above-ground utilities are fed from underground at the corner. Unfortunately, we don't have many choices. Comcast/Xfinity has very unreliable cable here, problems with water getting into underground vaults I'm told. ATT's copper has similar issues, with the underground conduits often filling with water during rainy periods and causing lots of dropouts for FusionDSL and static (on voice). Wave/Astound never finished connecting their plant on our street as well.

There are several houses on our street that back up to streets served by Sonic now. I assume there is no way that you can make agreements with private owners to have a right-of-way for connections through their property?
by soonahn » Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:39 am
Just got pushed from August to November on the status page. :?
Hopefully it won't get pushed back any further, but it feels like we keep slipping two months at a time.

The last update I can see is back on March 27th
Plant says that the permitting process has been completed (takes longer for MUNI crossings) and they anticipate completion in the next 45 days.

The Nevada Street address will take a little longer, also with some MUNI crossings, likely 60-75 days.
It's been significantly longer than 45, and 75 days from March 27th - are there any updates on what's going on? Getting silently pushed for months and months is a little tough, but understandable as there are issues outside of Sonic's control - but the lack of communication can be tough.
by dane » Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:55 pm
I checked with the project manager on this, and apparently, we had to wait 12 weeks for a response from the City of SF on whether we would be required to upgrade a set of four sidewalk crossings to new ADA compliance. It's likely that we did underground work within some distance of one of the four corners at that intersection, and doing any work nearby a street crossing which is not yet ADA-compliant can trigger the obligation to update all of the corners. We have put out a contract to get this work done today, so things are moving again at this point.

I'm sorry about the moving target. When we used to provide no dates at all, we got a lot of customer inquiries pushing us for dates. And when, we do provide dates, and they are forecast based on typical times for every step (plus a three-month contingency period.) But sometimes additional issues arise and cause more delay. These are generally permitting delays or issues related to weather, and these cause the dates to slip.

FYI everyone can find their current forecast date in the Fiber Status tool in our Member Tools, linked from the "Sign in" tab at top of the Sonic.com home page.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
128 posts Page 8 of 13