Gigabit Fiber in Bernal Heights

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
130 posts Page 6 of 13
by lunulair » Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:00 pm
aatreya wrote:Any update here? Given how many times it’s been delayed, is there a chance this deployment doesn’t actually get completed?
Unless something really catastrophic has happened, I can't imagine that happening. There is too much invested at this point to not turn all that fiber into revenue.

What I find odd (and frustrating, aside from the interminable delay) is the lack of feedback from Dane or Sonic in general. When fiber was first getting installed in San Francisco it seemed like there'd be a dozen messages per day discussing the status of the installation. Obviously that was a new experience for everyone, so there were lots of questions and explanations. But now it's just radio silence for weeks, or even months on end.

What exactly is the holdup? SF bureaucracy? Foot-dragging contractors? A big planning error? I think we'd be a lot less anxious or irritated if they simply told us something. But no, we're stuck in information limbo, and can't plan any options.
by aatreya » Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:51 am
Anyone from Sonic that can provide insight into the situation here?
by aatreya » Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:22 am
Any update here? Would really love to hear any information at all from someone at Sonic, given how many times this has been delayed without any explanation.
by dcokenias » Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:19 am
My Construction Update page says March 2023. That's only 10 days from now!
Very excited!

:D
by lunulair » Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:37 am
dcokenias wrote:My Construction Update page says March 2023.
Just curious - where can one see their 'Construction Update page'? Is this available through a user dashboard thing somewhere?
by dcokenias » Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:49 pm
Last October support sent me a link an in email. The link is tied to my specific address, so it's not for sharing.

I got the idea this is the new policy for most people waiting— instead of monthly emails, quarterly. And there's now a web page with estimated time the next phase starts.
by lunulair » Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:41 pm
dcokenias wrote:Last October support sent me a link an in email. The link is tied to my specific address, so it's not for sharing.
Thanks for that info. We tried to sign up (well, upgrade from DSL) for fiber over a year ago, and it was 'too early' for that. So then I tried again last summer and the web page would only allow us to upgrade for 2x DSL Fusion, but no fiber upgrade option. So then I contacted Sonic via email and explicitly requested we be put on the upgrade list.

Since then... nothing. No updates, and this forum has been devoid of useful info from Sonic.

So just now I went back to the main Sonic page and 'requested fiber', but this time it offered to acknowledge existing customers (which was not available a year ago) so I signed in and submitted a request. And this time I received an email back with a link to the status page that you mentioned. I'm also seeing 'March 2023'.

I just hope that we're not at the tail-end of the installation queue after a year and a half of waiting simply because their system wouldn't accept our upgrade request earlier.
by aatreya » Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:11 pm
Any update from Sonic here? @ec / @dane?
Would love to know whether this March date is actually going to stick.
by dceballos » Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:56 am
March is now May. The pattern is they keep extending the date by 2 months every month it’s due.

I live between Cortland and Jarboe and have never seen a Sonic employee in my life. They may just be ponzi scheming this thing and waiting for more signups before they start to do anything.
by aatreya » Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:08 am
I’m seeing May now as well. This is getting ridiculous.

Can we please get any kind of meaningful update from someone on the repeated delays, rather than silent kicking-the-can-down-the-road?

It’s been delayed five times in a row at this point. Is there a way to get this actually prioritized?
130 posts Page 6 of 13