Gigabit Fiber in Bernal Heights

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
129 posts Page 4 of 13
by lunulair » Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:24 pm
rustyhodge wrote:There are a few blocks in the Bernal area that are "isolated" as well, fed from underground connections, so Sonic won't be able to connect to those blocks either.
Incidentally, have you ever gotten any other info regarding your particular isolated location?
by dcokenias » Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:22 am
How long should I be prepared to wait? I see Sonic fiber on the pole in front of my house in Bernal. I paid in May, haven't even gotten a "monthly construction update email".
by lunulair » Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:19 pm
Ok, this is almost... insulting? We just received a marketing postcard telling us about Sonic Internet, while we have been staring at inert Sonic fiber on the pole outside our house for the past five months.

C'mon, Dane, anyone, give us an update. What's the holdup here?
by dcokenias » Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:15 pm
Sonic Support sent me this today. There has apparently been no progress. Scrolling back through this forum I see some folks have been waiting for years.

I really don't know what to expect here.

> Thank you for contacting Sonic Support with your request. We apologize for any inconvenience the delay in our response may have caused.

> CONSTRUCTION UPDATE AS OF (5/12/22): Hey Friends, Sonic here. This month our Sonic team is mobilizing our construction teams into your area. This is the most exciting part of the Sonic Fiber build when you can see our Sonic Crews working hard in your community to bring your home the fastest internet in the nation! This process can take time to finalize building permits, review any difficult transitions or underground builds that may be necessary to cross roads, pull fiber from the Central Office, etc. We will begin to send you construction updates once we have live fiber in your community. We thank you for your continued support of Sonic. Best, The Sonic Crew.

> We are still in this step we are working as fast as we can to deliver fiber to the area. This sometimes takes a little due to the city's red tape and other requirements we need to meet but we are working as fast as we can in order to do so.
> If you do need help with anything else please respond to this email or call us at 1-707-547-3000. We are open 8am-10pm, 7 days a week.
>
> Have a wonderful day,
by lunulair » Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:39 pm
Just received today (23-Sep-2022):

"Sonic is currently working around a muni crossing in your area in order to string fiber throughout your neighborhood. We are now assessing additional needs and requesting permits for the AT&T poles that will support our fiber cables and deliver internet to your home. We appreciate your patience and continued support throughout this process."

I'm not sure if the 'Muni crossing' refers to Cortland (with the electrified 24 line) or Mission St. (with its various lines). Understandably that's not a trivial problem, but I'd think that would have been worked out early in the whole project timeline, instead of after all the side-streets were strung (at great expense). Kind of like plumbing up an entire housing complex before figuring out how you're going to connect it to the nearest water main which is on the other side of a canyon.
by aatreya » Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:15 am
Does anyone at Sonic have an updated ETA for the Bernal Heights ("Willow") deployment? Our Sonic preorder has been pending for a year now, and we are trying to decide whether to re-up our discount contract with Comcast that expires in December.
by lunulair » Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:02 pm
aatreya wrote:Our Sonic preorder has been pending for a year now, and we are trying to decide whether to re-up our discount contract with Comcast that expires in December.
I have found the only way to get the more desirable option in a decision like this is to commit non-refundable money to the less desirable option thereby causing the more desirable option to become immediately available.

So from the rest of us still waiting, please sign the Comcast contract. :P
by aatreya » Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:50 pm
Any update on the ETA for “Willow” construction from someone official at Sonic? It’s been over a year with minimal updates. I’ve got a bunch of neighbors that are wondering what’s going on as well.
by lunulair » Fri Oct 28, 2022 3:31 pm
aatreya wrote:Any update on the ETA for “Willow” construction from someone official at Sonic?
In earlier times Dane has been fairly active in these forums, sometimes with daily reports, but for some reason neither he, nor any other reps at Sonic, are providing substantial updates on this particular topic.

Anyone in this section of Bernal can walk around and see all the new Sonic cables on the poles. It was a non-trivial project getting all that installed, yet it's sitting there idle, not generating any revenue or new customer sign-ups. I really can't understand how this project seems to have fallen through the cracks.

Incidentally, where did the 'Willow' project name come from?
by aatreya » Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:08 am
Can we please get an update on the status here? Last I heard, this buildout was blocked on Muni, but I just contacted the Muni construction team and they said no work has been scheduled…
129 posts Page 4 of 13