Unknown Error with Reallocating IP Addresses (Pace modem).

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by fallenturtle » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:40 am
Hi,

I have the Sonic provided Pace Modem.

To make it easier to share files between by Mac and PC I allocatedthem specific IPs to use. I recently got one of those fancy-pants Thunderbolt monitors which doubles as a hub and as its own ethernet controller. I want this new controller to use the IP that was originally being allocated to my laptops built in ethernet controller.

I am having a hard time getting this to happen. I've tried various combinations of releasing/renewing IP addresses, setting my ethernet controllers to static IP mode, and rebooting the modem.

The biggest mystery and what is probably my road block is when I to change the IP allocation settings from the modem's IP allocation page and hit save it just says "Errors" but doesn't bother to tell me what the actual error is.

No matter what I try, when I renew the IP addresses for these controllers then get assigned the old values.

Short of having to reset ALL my IP allocations and start over again (I'd really like to avoid that since I have a bunch of devices set to get specific IP addresses).
by cduran » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:40 pm
The only error I've seen on the IP allocations page occurs when you try to change the IP allocation for multiple devices at the same time (especially when you're trying to swap LAN IPs between devices). To avoid this, make a single IP allocation change, save the configuration, and then move on to the next. Also, If you're going to use the IP allocation feature on the Pace I'd avoid statically assigning the devices themselves.

In your case I'd try the following:
Set the ip allocation for the laptop to private from pool, and save.
Set the ip allcoation for the thunderbolt monitor to private from pool, save.
Set the thunderbolt monitor to private fixed (the LAN IP your laptop used to have), save.
Set the laptop to private fixed (whatever new LAN IP you wish to allocate it), save.
Reboot Pace 4111N and let all of the devices on the LAN DHCP their new addresses.
Chris Duran
by fallenturtle » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:56 am
Thank you for your response.

For clarification I do have these devices set to DHCP and I'm letting the Pace modem allocate the IPs (vs static assign).

Through my previous attempts I had gotten as far as getting both the laptop and the monitor set to private from pool. When I try to set the monitor to the private fixed value IP and hit save I get the non-descript Error and the allocation is back to private from pool.

I did a modem reboot before trying this but that didn't help either.

After all this if I plug the laptop's ethernet in it still give its the IP I'm trying to assign to the monitor.
by cduran » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:29 am
I took a look at your configuration and I do see several devices set to "Static IP - No DHCP" that are allocated to LAN IPs within the DHCP pool. If you're going to statically assign devices to LAN IPs I'd first ensure that they are assigned to LAN IPs outside of the DHCP pool (The default DHCP range on our Pace 4111N is 192.168.42.64->192.168.42.253).

It also may not be a bad idea to choose a single method of IP allocation across the LAN to reduce the complexity of your network configuration (Either statically assign specific devices to LAN IPs outside of the DHCP pool and let everything else DHCP, or set all devices to DHCP and let the Pace handle all of the IP allocation through the "private from pool" or "private fixed <LAN IP>" designations).

If you decide to use the Pace to allocate IPs you'll want to powercycle the 4111N after you've saved the new IP allocation config to force all devices behind the Pace to renew their leases.

If the problem mentioned in your previous post persists (generic error when attempting to save IP allcoation config) after following the above suggestions you may have to clear the IP allocation table on the Pace and start from scratch, hopefully that isn't necessary though.

If you are able to consistently reproduce this generic error message within the IP allocation interface I'd love a step-by-step breakdown of how you're triggering that behavior so that I can pass it on to Pace and try to get a more informative error message in place.
Chris Duran
4 posts Page 1 of 1