Fiber availability in Southern California

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by Vic024 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:27 pm
Hello, can someone give me any answers or updates on when Sonic will start offering fiber service in Southern California? In specific, Orange County. Thanks!
by dane » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:48 pm
Vic024 wrote:Hello, can someone give me any answers or updates on when Sonic will start offering fiber service in Southern California? In specific, Orange County. Thanks!
We are today offering service in many regions of Southern California via our relationship with AT&T. That provides service at up to 1Gbps speed, packaged with unlimited VoIP service via the Sonic network.

As for direct Sonic last-mile fiber, we have not yet announced any Southern California availability. Of course, our aim to reach every community, but the process of construction and expansion takes time. Uptake is a primary limiting factor right now: we can only expand as fast as our membership scales, so for those all around our service territories, please keep spreading the word.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Vic024 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:28 am
dane wrote:
Vic024 wrote:Hello, can someone give me any answers or updates on when Sonic will start offering fiber service in Southern California? In specific, Orange County. Thanks!
We are today offering service in many regions of Southern California via our relationship with AT&T. That provides service at up to 1Gbps speed, packaged with unlimited VoIP service via the Sonic network.

As for direct Sonic last-mile fiber, we have not yet announced any Southern California availability. Of course, our aim to reach every community, but the process of construction and expansion takes time. Uptake is a primary limiting factor right now: we can only expand as fast as our membership scales, so for those all around our service territories, please keep spreading the word.
Thanks for that information! What is the process of installing fiber? Do the fiber cables get ran individually to every house? I live in a mobile home community and have always wondered what the process is like when installing fiber to places like the one I’m currently living in.
by dane » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:44 am
Vic024 wrote:Thanks for that information! What is the process of installing fiber? Do the fiber cables get ran individually to every house? I live in a mobile home community and have always wondered what the process is like when installing fiber to places like the one I’m currently living in.
Yes, in a fiber to the premise network, an entirely new infrastructure is constructed - new cables down every street, drops to every home, etc. An optical network terminal is then installed at each home to deliver Ethernet and phone services.

For a private property situation like a mobile home community, the typical configuration is underground utilities. The mobile home park will place conduits for various utilities like gas, sewer, water and communications, and will grant those conduits to each utility to deploy into. The challenge is that many built just two communications conduits: one for telephone and one for cable, and those have been granted to those two incumbents. If there's no extra conduit, they'd need to invest to build that capacity today.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
4 posts Page 1 of 1