Bad Fusion X2 bonded DSL internet service

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by vic24 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:26 am
Hello everyone. I am having trouble with my bonded Fusion X2 DSL service that I got installed a couple of days ago. I am about 8k feet from the CO so running speed tests maxes me out at about 15 mbps download and 1.6mbps upload. Unfortunately, my service seems to be a little bit unstable. For example, all it takes for my speeds to drop dramatically to the point where the internet is unusable is for 1 device to either be streaming videos or playing games online. I have less than 10 devices connected to the modem/router that Sonic provided me(Pace5268AC) as well as an Eero that I went out and bought from BestBuy but the problem still persists. Even playing online games is useless because it starts lagging all over the place and my latency is through the roof most of the time even with only 1-2 other devices connected to the modem! I had AT&T DSL before I had Sonic installed with half the speeds I am getting from Sonic and I never had all these issues with dropped connections and speeds slowing down with all of my devices connected to the modem/router even without the Eero! I had very high hopes from Sonic but I’ve had nothing but headaches these past 2 days spending hours and hours trying to fix my internet and doing troubleshooting with tech support to no avail. Has anyone else experienced this before and if so, what was done to fix the service? Any info would help, thank you!
by jvinopal » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:02 pm
It's all about a good (ideally short) cable from the jack on the outside of the house to the modem. A cat5 cable with rj11 connectors works great. A "shielded modem cable" (same thing and 10x the cost) works great.

To test, run an extension cord as close to the outside box as you can and plug the modem in right there. Then run an ether cable into the house and connect to the existing infrastructure. If things are "better" with the modem on a short cable it'd be worth crimping/buying a new modem cable.

Check out the Settings Broadband panel in your modem config. I run around 50/6 with the following parameters. Modem cable is ~30' cat5.

User Rate 25278 kbs 3040 kbs
Max User Rate 46523 kbs 11723 kbs
Noise Margin 17.7 dB 25.0 dB
Attenuation 20.7 dB 18.8 dB
Output Power 14.5 dBm 6.6 dBm
Protocol G.993.2_8d
Channel Interleaved
DSLAM Vendor Information Country {46336} Vendor {BDCM} Specific {42222 }
Rate Cap 46016 kbs
Attenuation @ 300kHz 10.2 dB
Required Impulse Noise Protection 17
VCXO Frequency Offset -20.8 ppm Ok