Rural / Cazadero broadband?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by Guest » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:57 am
Hi, all...

I periodically search the forums (in case it's already answered) then ask here, so here goes again:

We had Sonic service for quite a while -- since the days of 9600baud POTS modem, IIRC -- but have for some time now used non-Sonic broadband because of our location, 'way out in rural west Sonoma County.

We aren't "in" Cazadero, but that's the telephone exchange that serves our neighborhood (the Austin Creek valley) -- although we are QUITE far from the gear (probably beyond effective DSL limits); also, the local copper has a long history of outages and problems. One neighbor had multiple false-911 dispatches to their home, finally switched to Comcast-phone, and STILL got a POTS-based 911 dispatch almost a month after (the telco hadn't de-activated the circuit).

I did't see any specific-to-this-area forum topics when I searched (nothing with "cazadero"? Really, sonic? NOTHING?), though -- searching "rural" instead -- I did find one for the Two Rocks area (outside Petaluma) that was quite discouraging: Dane said, late last year, "...I do not believe that you will see a product from us in this location in the foreseeable future..."

Still.

I really like Sonic. I'd love to come back... if only Sonic would be willing to have me as a customer. We're increasingly unhappy with the ever-rising costs of Comcast (our current ISP). We had Dish Network for a while before that. I found an interesting link on ArsTechnica to TVWS broadband from Cal.Net (whose Sierra-Foothils turf is much like Sonic's rural/mountain areas (hint, hint) --
http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... customers/

So, my two questions: (1) any chance for a Sonic broadband solution to our house? (2) Assuming a "no" to #1, Is there any consensus as to the best-value (highest-quality that isn't a "premium" (and expensive) service) broadband for rural/mountainous western sonoma county? IS it pretty much just Comcast & Dish?

Many thanks!
by dane » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:51 pm
As you've noted, we don't have a good rural solution to offer. If Comcast is out there, they'll be your best option. You might also look into wireless - likely slower, but local, nice, etc. Try here: http://www.broadbandfortheboonies.com/aboutus.html

A satellite based solution such as Exede should only be considered if dialup is the only other option. Your best bets in order are:
  • 1: Wireline (Fiber, xDSL, Cable). This would be Sonic, AT&T, Comcast, Time Warner, Verizon.

2: Fixed (point-to-point) terrestrial wireless. Generally installed on your roof by a local wireless ISP (WISP) like CDS Wireless.

3: Nomadic (LTE, 3G) terrestrial wireless. Mobile carriers: Sprint, Verizon, AT&T, Clearwire, Netzero, and upcoming folks like Freedom Pop. Study coverage maps!

4: Satellite (extraterrestrial) wireless. Exede from ViaSat, or HughesNet from Echostar/Dish.

5: Dialup (ISDN, or analog modem). Generally a local ISP like Sonic.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Guest » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:29 pm
dane wrote:As you've noted, we don't have a good rural solution to offer.
:_(
but-but-but... I want to be a Sonic customer!

<sigh>

I understand the business realities. Can I suggest/request, though, that you put "a good rural solution" onto your list of products you are actively developing? Assuming I'm still living here when that happens, I'm likely to become a Sonic customer once more ... Unless someone else wins my loyalty before then.
3 posts Page 1 of 1