Unsafe practices for workers and customers during pandemic

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by Concerned customer » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:09 pm
We needed to upgrade our service from DSL broadband during the shelter-in-place now that we are all trying to work and learn from home using online media. We were grateful to have an appointment scheduled relatively quickly, and have been looking forward to the upgrade. I was, however, concerned about having a technician enter our home given the current recommendations surrounding the Coronavirus. During three, separate conversations with Sonic, I inquired what measures were being taken to protect both the workers performing the installations and the families into whose homes they were entering. I was assured all three times that they would be wearing masks, gloves, washing hands, using disinfectants, checking that no one in the home is ill and that they are not ill themselves, and generally adhering to the current disease-control guidelines.

The AT&T technician who arrived to do our install is a lovely person, who has been nothing but courteous and thorough with respect to the technical job he is here to perform. I have not one negative thing to say about him. When I asked if he will be putting a mask on to enter the house, I said that he was not provided with any masks and can't get them from his employer. He was wearing gloves, but they were on before he and I first spoke, and are only as clean as whatever he touches with them on. I ended up providing him with some masks we had in the house, but he had already entered inside before I found them and then put them on while wearing the same gloves that he continues to use. As we headed back outside, I stated that I would get the door for him, but I don't think he heard me, so he ended up touching the doorknobs to our front door and screen with the same hands he touched his face with when applying the mask. He did have boot covers, but no hand sanitizer or anything else -- not even a piece of fabric he could place over his mouth. He also was clearly not aware of the recommendation to maintain at least 6 feet distance. Again, I am not criticizing him at all. His employers should be ensuring that he is trained in measures that will protect him in the workplace during this pandemic.

It is clear that several issues are occurring:
1) Clearly, AT&T is not providing their workers with adequate training regarding the public health recommendations for slowing the spread of COVID-19.
2) More alarmingly, they are not providing their workers with adequate supplies to protect their employees, the families they go home to, and the customers whose homes they enter, which is unconscionable to me.
3) Sonic is offering assurances of practices that are not being upheld by their partner company, which left me scrambling and unprepared to take the measures that would best protect my family.

I am so pissed on multiple levels -- that AT&T is failing to protect their employees as they enter multiple homes over the course of the day, with no idea of whether there is active or asymptomatic infection in the house. That it's too late now to undo the possibility that my family may have just been exposed to the virus. My spouse is asthmatic and we have a child in the home. We are in one of the counties that first instituted shelter-in-place, so our lives have been on total hold for almost a month now, and it's possible that, despite all our precautions and adherence to restrictions, the virus could have walked right into our home as a result of AT&T, and by extension, Sonic's careless disregard for the safety of their workers and customers. Even if they are really sorry and change it going forward, if this particular technician was asked to go into a home with active infection, and may or may not even know that he was exposed, he could be asymptomatic and shedding the virus to others. I doubt that AT&T has any procedures for notifying customers if one of their techs does, unfortunately, fall ill, so I'm not even sure we would know until one of us falls ill, ourselves.

I don't usually post in forums. I'm only doing this at the request of the Sonic representative with whom I spoke, for the sole reason of bringing this to the attention of the CEO. The representative from Sonic was clearly concerned and said this is the first she has heard that AT&T was not following the protocols that Sonic assured me they were. If you have had a similar experience to ours, please let Sonic know right away -- it defeats the whole purpose of even doing a shelter-in-place if their technicians are unwittingly becoming vectors for virus transmission between homes.
by amayfield » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:34 pm
Thank you for the comprehensive breakdown of what occurred during your installation. I'm really sorry for the divergence from protocol by the technician due to insufficient PPE which created a very scary and potentially dangerous situation for you and your family. Sonic is going to great lengths to minimize unnecessary contact and exposure - our technicians are now not even entering homes rather completing installations outside the premises and providing instructions to customers on how to hook up the router - so your experience is especially concerning. I'm going to pass this along to my higher ups so we can figure out the best path forward.

EDIT: Please Private Message me your Sonic account information - I'd like to review your case so we can talk specifics with our AT&T contacts about your installation.
Andrew M.
Community & Escalations Manager
Sonic
by stan » Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:59 pm
Thanks for posting. We have a similar concern for a mandatory upgrade to Fusion IP broadband copper for an elderly relative.

Why does ATT need to enter the property, at all?

The upgrade is mandatory and needs to happen before July 31, but we may consider a different service that does not require a tech to enter the home especially without taking proper precautions.
by dane » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:52 am
stan wrote:Thanks for posting. We have a similar concern for a mandatory upgrade to Fusion IP broadband copper for an elderly relative.

Why does ATT need to enter the property, at all?

The upgrade is mandatory and needs to happen before July 31, but we may consider a different service that does not require a tech to enter the home especially without taking proper precautions.
Clearly, you shouldn’t let a technician enter the home unless they are taking appropriate safety precautions. We’ve spoken with AT&T on this topic, and they tell us all techs should have masks now. If one turned up without one, do send them away!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by stan » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:43 pm
Thanks for your reply, Dane.

We will monitor the worker when he or she arrives. We found out that ATT has to come in to plug the modem in and test it. All other work is performed at the exterior point of entry.

-Stan
by ozware » Thu May 28, 2020 4:01 pm
AT&T left the Demark phone box open to the elements, on the outside of the house.

The Demark is >20' in the air outside of the house and we can't get at it. We asked AT&T to return to close the box. They did not return.

We spoke with Sonic and support said it was not a Sonic problem.

Just a few minutes ago, my spouse spoke with Sonic support, again, Josh, who debated with her and when she asked what we could do. She asked, is my only option to cancel Sonic?

Josh said, I can certainly help you with that.

So much for Sonic.

--Stan
by dct » Thu May 28, 2020 5:01 pm
Hi Stan,

I'm sorry for the frustration.

Each time you've spoken with our customer support, I do believe they were doing their best to assist you in both explaining what could be done to address the issue, as well as manage expectations in regards to the infrastructure. When dealing with a resold service, there are limitations to what we can undertake, especially when it comes to the physical side of things.

That said, sounds like this came across as "Not our problem, we don't care." rather than "Not a problem we can physically have one of our employees address, but we can contact the people who can."

I'm sorry if you felt out representative was debating with your spouse; our representative was explaining which resources they had at their disposal, and the direction necessary to move forward, which was counter to the steps suggested by your spouse.

I understand Josh explaining that he can assist with cancellation might leave a bad impression, but imagine if the opposite were true, and when your spouse voiced wanting to cancel, our representative was unwilling to assist. While it's not the outcome we would hope for, it's better than making false promises, or impeding your ability pursue the services that best suits your needs.

There is an open request for AT&T to perform this maintenance work, and I've asked our provisioning manager to keep an eye on this to ensure we provide the force necessary to get this done. Once this has been officially scheduled, we'll be following up via email with a date and time. Please reach out to me via PM if you have any questions or concerns I wasn't able to address.

Kind regards,
Dan T.
Community & Escalations Manager
707-547-3400
@Sonic
7 posts Page 1 of 1