Switching over from existing DSL

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
9 posts Page 1 of 1
by kibosuru412 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:31 pm
Hi. I currently have an existing DSL (through DSLextreme, which uses ATT's DSL line) and I recently switched to sonic.net including my ATT land line. I authorized the switch for the phone and sonic.net said it'll do the switch on the 13th of this month. But the modem arrived today (the 7th). I haven't cancelled my existing DSL yet because I want to make sure the sonic.net fusion worked before I cancel the existing one. Did a speed test and it's still at 2.5mpbs, which is likely my existing DSL line. When does the switch occur or is there a configuration I need to set up to make sure I'm getting fusion instead of DSLextreme? And I want to use my existing wireless router but I heard the hardware that I'm renting from sonic.net is a modem/router combo already so I need to do something right? Where would I find the instructions? The sonic.net hardware came pretty much with nothing except the hardware so I'm not sure what's the best way to get fusion started.

Thanks!
by Guest » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:18 pm
Go to whatismyipaddress.com and see if your IP address is from Sonic or someone else.
by kibosuru412 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:25 pm
So once the sonic.net one is active, it would switch over automatically or would I have to cancel my old DSL before the new DSL starts working? Sorry for these questions. I never did a service switch while my DSL was active before.
by jleake » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:09 pm
The modem usually arrives several days early.

Most ISPs use a different modem configuration than Sonic and I'm pretty sure DSL Extreme is one, so your service should go down when the switch happens. When that happens, plug in the new modem and it will likely come up within a few minutes. It should be a one-to-one swap for the old gear -- all you'll have to do is plug your computer into the new modem or connect to the wifi with the settings on the side of the Pace. If it takes more than two hours for everything to come up, give us a call and we'll look into it.

Since phone and internet are both switching, it's often just as easy to confirm the switch with the phone. Dialing 933 will take you to our 911 address verification, which is a great way to do that, as well as making sure your address is correctly handed off to the authorities in the event you have to call 911. You can also dial 611 -- that will take you to your current phone provider, which will be either us or AT&T. That's also an easy way to reach tech support if you have questions.

If you get home on the evening of the 13th and run into trouble, give Support a call!
Juliana L.
Customer Support, Sonic.net, Inc.
by jleake » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:11 pm
To clarify that, it should switch automatically, though I would recommend calling the old provider once it's up and running with us to make sure they cancel your account and issue a refund promptly. Don't call before the switch, as a pending cancellation can cause problems.
Juliana L.
by kibosuru412 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:33 am
Thankyou! I'll try to see if it works on the 13th then. :) Thanks for all the help!
by kibosuru412 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:25 am
yay! My sonic.net fusion is now up and running! I wrote in to cancel my existing dsl from dslextreme but with my ATT phone line, do I have to call in to cancel too? I was under the impression that sonic.net would request the switch and there would be nothing to do at my end, but when I checked my ATT phone line yesterday, it shows that it's still active.

Thanks!
by jleake » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:42 am
In the majority of cases, there's no need to call them. Since you switched your number away from AT&T, they should be notified that they've lost the number and modify the billing appropriately. The same goes for the DSL service. However, I would recommend giving them a call to make sure the account is canceled in full, as I've heard of a few cases where they never register the line loss correctly and keep billing for service that no longer exists and there are sometimes secondary services that have to be canceled separately.
Juliana L.
by Guest » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:00 am
kibosuru412 wrote:yay! My sonic.net fusion is now up and running! I wrote in to cancel my existing dsl from dslextreme but with my ATT phone line, do I have to call in to cancel too? I was under the impression that sonic.net would request the switch and there would be nothing to do at my end, but when I checked my ATT phone line yesterday, it shows that it's still active.

Thanks!
Did your switch happen at the time they said it would activate? Mine is supposed to be up in two hours and I am anxiously waiting lol.
9 posts Page 1 of 1