Forsaken by AT&T

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by alun » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:28 am
During these troubling times I was out for walk in the local office parking lot the other day, and noticed that there was AT&T fiber right opposite my apartment, whereas I had only noticed it further down the road before. It looks like the cabinet is directly opposite me in fact.

I only have 5Mbps "at best" in the apartment, and am surrounded by high speed internet.

I think it's that the street block I am on does not have easy access to a utility power line, so it must be buried copper.

Is there nothing we can do to pay/convince AT&T to connect us?

(Red lines are the AT&T Fiber, red blob is where the cabinet is).

Sonic customer since 2007.
by dane » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:32 am
I can't really answer for where and why AT&T has built its own fiber, I'm sorry.

Sonic fiber is expanding as quickly as we can build it!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by alun » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:07 pm
I should clarify that all the speeds listed on the image are the speeds that sonic can provide at these residences (presumably over the AT&T rollouts).
by Pepe » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:35 pm
IIRC, AT&T fiber installations in most of the city are comprised of two parts: addition/replacement of a surface mount cabinet with fiber support for the block and utility pole mounted multi-unit switches with a line connected to each residence that is in service. In my situation, AT&T had installed the utility pole switches but had not upgraded/replaced the local service mount cabinet. After talking to the local engineering group located on Folsom Street, the utility pole installation was further ahead in deployment since its a new install while the surface mount cabinets are behind schedule ~6-9 months due to city permitting, resident approval of the location and the cutover process which is complex since it still must support any existing copper wireline connections, e.g. ADSL/VDSL. I would check if the utility pole switches have been installed as well as verifying fiber availability using the web tools from AT&T and Sonic.

Pepe
4 posts Page 1 of 1