VPN: Linksys LRT224, config

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by kieths » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:31 am
I have the Linksys LRT224 Dual Wan router, bought used for it's claim to support either IPSec, or OpenVPN (Server / Client).
I considered DD-WRT, but I have only older routers running this platform, and I understand their throughput would be very low (WRT54GS, etc.). Rather than invest in, and reflash a newer router to DD-WRT and still not have one optimized for VPN throughput, I chose a router with a stock firmware solution. Probably not the best choice, but I'm trying to make it work.

I've previously successfully configured both IPSec and OpenVPN client settings on my Android phone, and I hoped setup might be even easier on this router. Nope.

My plan is to route only one segment of my home connection (FTTN 1000, via ATT/Sonic) via this router with VPN > Sonic. The AT&T router has perhaps 4 LAN ports, and I hoped to pull one of those via this Linksys LRT224, and out to a dedicated WiFi AP (I expect some bandwidth limitations) for use by select PC's, etc. in my home, targeting devices which don't otherwise support connection via VPN.

I've tried configuring the router with an IPSec VPN client, referring to a previous Android VPN setup instructions.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1000

I also tried setting up an OpenVPN client config, but I immediately found that this router offers no way to upload Sonic's client.ovpn file, only having blanks for server URL/IP, user and pass. Long story short, that didn't work, and it didn't even try to connect.
Note: Linksys LRT224, firmware version v1.0.7.02 (Mar 20 2018 18:27:06).

I've searched for any similar VPN config settings (either IPSec or Ovpn) for this router, but I've had no luck.

I hope to use this router (though used, it had some cost), though understand the throughput may be limited (I feel it should be adequate for handling a limited number of connected clients). I would appreciate any info that might get me started.
by js9erfan » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:25 pm
My plan is to route only one segment of my home connection (FTTN 1000, via ATT/Sonic) via this router with VPN > Sonic
It appears that router does not support this. You can use it for site to site VPN or as a VPN server but as a client of a VPN service, no.

If you can't return it then perhaps you can sell it but for your next router take a look at pfSense or OPNsense if you don't want to run DD-WRT. They have what you're looking for and then some (dual WAN capability, load balancing, selective routing, etc...).

You can build your own box to fit your needs or purchase preconfigured hardware direct from Netgate (pfSense). Protectli is also decent but unless there's a 3rd party firmware for that LRT224 that will enable it to act as a VPN client to Sonic, etc., you're out of luck unfortunately.
by kieths » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:32 pm
Thanks so much for writing.
Return isn't an option, though I may be able to sell it on Craigslist or similar to recoupe the loss is necessary.

I'm a bit confused at what the LRT224 offers, vs what's required for VPN connection to Sonic.net.
From internal router settings, it appears the LRT224 support 3 categories of VPN options:
1) VPN
2) ExpressVPN
3) OpenVPN

For the "VPN" (#1), there is no clear explanation that I find as to the underlying topography.
I see that it offers (basically) fixed/dynamic IP/domain (aka FQDN).
For encryption, it offers IKE with Preshared Key, or Manual, with 768/1024/1536 bit, DES, 3DEX, and various bit strengths of AES.

For Manual, it offers Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI), and an Encryption key and Authentication key.
But there are no fields for entry of user name, or password (for the Sonic account), so I gather that this is another VPN topography.

ExpressVPN is apparently meant to be an abbreviated setup to tunnel with other routers similar to the LRT224/LRT214, etc.

This leaves OpenVPN, which I would have expected to be a "standard". Not so lucky?
The router offers both OpenVPN Server, and OpenVPN Client (I'm looking to use the client, to login to Sonic's VPN).
The settings 'seem' straightforward. It asks for OpenVPN Server (name or IP), it asks for Username, and, Password.
Next, simply click Enable, Save, and ... nothing!
Perhaps there's some other menu under this router where I could add a referenced *.ovpn key?
It doesn't seem like this info alone should be adequate for ANY OpenVPN server login, should it?
Surely I'm missing something?
by js9erfan » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:50 pm
kieths wrote:Thanks so much for writing.
Return isn't an option, though I may be able to sell it on Craigslist or similar to recoupe the loss is necessary.

I'm a bit confused at what the LRT224 offers, vs what's required for VPN connection to Sonic.net.
From internal router settings, it appears the LRT224 support 3 categories of VPN options:
1) VPN
2) ExpressVPN
3) OpenVPN
Looking at the manual, VPN = IPSec/PPTP client/server capability; ExpressVPN = simplified VPN config and OpenVPN = OpenVPN client/server capability.

In other words, you can host a VPN server (for remote access to your LAN) or configure a site to site/gateway to gateway VPN (remote/off-site access to another router/LAN) but it is not configurable as a VPN client that can connect to a VPN service like Sonic, NordVPN, etc.

You should probably contact Linksys for further detail but they basically confirmed it on the the product page question/answer section:
Linksys q&a.PNG
Linksys q&a.PNG (64.93 KiB) Viewed 4011 times
by kieths » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:06 pm
I had read to to support IPSec in advertised specs. Reading instructions (not specs) resulted in screens not present in the router's menu's screens, so I assumed some possible differences in the firmware versions.

Still, I agree with your interpretation (and it does seem rather laughable, anyone expected free VPN with the purchase of the hardware).

Will look for another option. I may end up seeking a more modern WRT router to flash to DD-WRT, as that has good support.
Again, thanks for the feedback.
5 posts Page 1 of 1