Troublesome Sonic internet service

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
8 posts Page 1 of 1
by goksenin » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:20 pm
Hi All,
I am located in Los Altos, CA. I have 20 Mbit/sec Sonic DSL. Over the last 4-5 weeks, I am getting horrible internet service from Sonic. I talked to tech support 4-5 times altready, no solution yet. My speed is typically 4-5Mbit/sec download and 0.5Mbit/sec upload. Is there anybody else in the same situation?
Thanks
by ngufra » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:25 am
I am on fiber in Albany and service has been ok.
What did sonic say? did they notice an issue on their network or in your house?
Is the problem on wifi only (try to plug the computer directly to the switch and do speed test)?
Do you have neighbors on sonic too? does they have issue?

If you typically have 20 Mbps down, it sounds like you are on a single VDSL connection and not too far from the central office.
ask sonic if there any noise on the line, they can also tweak the parameters and get a slightly lower speed but more stable.

TL;DR: call them again and ask for some diagnostics be run on your line.Especially if you rent the modem/router, they should be able to help unless the issue is with your equipment.

-Francois
by jacob.karinen » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:11 am
goksenin wrote:Hi All,
I am located in Los Altos, CA. I have 20 Mbit/sec Sonic DSL. Over the last 4-5 weeks, I am getting horrible internet service from Sonic. I talked to tech support 4-5 times altready, no solution yet. My speed is typically 4-5Mbit/sec download and 0.5Mbit/sec upload. Is there anybody else in the same situation?
Thanks
Hi Goksenin,

I took a look at your line and it's definitely got something going on with it. I've opened a ticket and sent an email to you with the steps I think we should take. I hope we can get this running again smoothly for you soon.
Jacob K.
Community and Escalations Supervisor
Sonic
by Same Problem Here » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:20 pm
Similar issues here. Fusion bonded pair adsl which when working delivers only around 12 down and 2 up, LIne 2 won't sync at all and line 1 is down to a trickle. Swapped out the modem with no improvement. ATT rolled a truck and jumpered our line on the pole for a shorter loop to the CO, still no joy. Might be an internal wiring issue. Sonic coming Tuesday to try and figure it out. Sad irony is there is fiber on the pole but it is ATT. We signed up 4 years ago for the 30 bucks a month fiber promise, now PGE says the pole is overloaded and our only option is to pay more than double the original offered price for fiber held hostage by ATT, not gonna pay it, just fix our adsl for now and we'll go with Starlink once it is turned on.
by ngufra » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:09 am
A few years ago when we were on DSL, I had some issues with noise on the line although we are a block from the CO.
Sonic installed the dsl filter in the grey box outside the house and we ran a filtered line for the phone and the unfiltered line just to the modem. It helped somewhat.
Sonic engineer had not told me but they charged me i think it was about $20 for the filter.
by Similar Issues Here » Fri May 01, 2020 2:43 pm
So we re-did the internal wiring with CAT-5 thanks to a very helpful Sonic tech . . . and still no joy. ATT failed to show up twice. They finally came today and completely screwed things up, while they restored line 2 of Fusion, now line 1 is down PLUS now we have no dial tone. What a bunch of hopeless Keystone Kops! Two weeks of mayhem and impaired service. With no hope for resolution. Please hurry Elon Musk, even in the big cities we need Starlink ASAP.
Same Problem Here wrote:Similar issues here. Fusion bonded pair adsl which when working delivers only around 12 down and 2 up, LIne 2 won't sync at all and line 1 is down to a trickle. Swapped out the modem with no improvement. ATT rolled a truck and jumpered our line on the pole for a shorter loop to the CO, still no joy. Might be an internal wiring issue. Sonic coming Tuesday to try and figure it out. Sad irony is there is fiber on the pole but it is ATT. We signed up 4 years ago for the 30 bucks a month fiber promise, now PGE says the pole is overloaded and our only option is to pay more than double the original offered price for fiber held hostage by ATT, not gonna pay it, just fix our adsl for now and we'll go with Starlink once it is turned on.
by SAme Problem Here » Wed May 06, 2020 6:49 pm
Fixed it today . . . at long last.
Sonic tech was friendly, professional and persistent. Worked with me until the problem was solved. Went above and beyond.
by ngufra » Thu May 07, 2020 8:39 am
Glad you are finally up.
8 posts Page 1 of 1