What Type of Fiber Cable - Transition Box to ONT?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by cwatson774 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:01 pm
Hi again everyone! I have a quick question.

In preparation for a future Sonic fiber installation, I'd like to run my own cable from where the transition box will be to my computer room (~33 feet "as the crow flies").

As such, I'd like to make sure I'm ordering the right kind of fiber cable. From what I've researched, it looks like the transition box and ONT both use a SC male fiber end, so a cable like this should work, right?

Thanks!

- Anthony
by igorru » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:38 pm
Hi Anthony,

The Sonic installer will run the cable for you. Where ever you need it (within reason). And it's included for free.

What you have pictured there looks correct, but I'm no expert on this.

Good luck!
Igor
by joeyyung911 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:48 pm
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15169
joeyyung911 wrote:Why would you need to purchase any cable?

Fiber comes off the pole, down to your house, "terminates" to an ONT, ONT to Router via RJ45. Both the fiber and ONT is Sonic-owned, so you ain't do anything with that.
Excelsior, Sonic Fiber
by Sonic Guest » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:42 pm
Sonic used SM APC SC connectors on my parents' installation 3 years ago.
by chris.w » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:45 pm
Hi Anthony,

Joey and Igor are right—let the installer run the fiber cable for you. It’s their job, it doesn’t cost you anything, and that way, if a technical issue develops in the fiber or the ONT, it’s Sonic’s responsibility.

Sonic expects the installation to take about 2 hours (I believe), so your job is to provide the installer with a quick and easy fiber route from the transition box to your computer room. Accessible crawl space is good. Conduit, including ENT (flexible, corrugated conduit), also works, if you have it in place.

If you plan to route the fiber in the stud cavity without conduit—for instance, from the sub-area, up through the floor and the stud cavity, to a spot on the wall of your computer room—plan to pre-drill the holes in the floor or ceiling, the wall, and any blocks or studs, and run a pull string (or cable) through the holes along the route so the installer can pull the fiber into place. When sizing and placing your holes, be aware that the secondary fiber cable is roughly the same size as Cat5e (though flatter), but it’s springier and stiffer.

Good luck with your preparations.

Chris
by zachfriedland » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:57 am
Can anyone clarify the size of the hole in the exterior wall that needs to be drilled so I can plan the installation path?
by briancw » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:29 am
Hi All,

On the topic of running your own fiber line, I would recommend allowing our installer to do the actual running of the fiber line to the Sonic technicians, if you want to determine a route for the line to go we can fish through. We need around 3/8th of an inch of space to get through clearly.

In the case of running the fiber Sonic needs to have our fiber all the way to the ONT, our technicians are fiber certified and we essentially require that the fiber end to end be ours. The first point where you would be able to hook your own equipment or cables is to the ONT itself.
Brian W
Construction Application Processor
Sonic
7 posts Page 1 of 1