End of classic DSL & its static IPs

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by zbang » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:19 pm
Breaking this out of another thread-

One of the upgrade paths mentioned when classic ADSL shuts down is Fusion service. How do I tell it Fusion actually -is- available to me (wire center ALMDCA11 switch ALMDCA11DS0, maybe 10k feet with a great S/N)? At one time, it was offered for my location but the tools seem to push towards what I think is AT&T FTTN.

Assuming that Fusion and it's static IPs really aren't available, what can Sonic provide that will get a static address or two? A GRE tunnel into the data center? A wireguard tunnel? Other options? Most of the people that still have statics are going to be the more sophisticated users and able to set up the gateways/etc. (And most of the people who didn't already migrate to Fusion probably didn't see a need to. I've been happy with my service since it was installed 10+ years ago.)

Also, if AT&T does install Sonic service, do they take out the existing POTS line? (I kind of like having something with it's own power.)

Thanks.
by dane » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:16 pm
Our qualification tool steers customers toward the service that will provide the most bandwidth. In a location like yours, nearly two miles from the CO, if there is a nearer AT&T VRAD cabinet, the IP Broadband product would provide more speed than our CO-based Fusion service. So, the system will provide that as the upgrade option.

But if you are directly served today via the CO, rather than from a remote terminal, we could move you to traditional Fusion service by processing a manual order with an override of the recommended product. But I'm a bit skeptical that's the case - else why wouldn't you have made that switch from the old ADSL1 over to Fusion ADSL2+ when it was offered in the last five to ten years?
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by zbang » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:41 pm
dane wrote:. But I'm a bit skeptical that's the case - else why wouldn't you have made that switch from the old ADSL1 over to Fusion ADSL2+ when it was offered in the last five to ten years?
Be skeptical if you want, but it's very simple- I didn't see any reason to change; what I've had has been working fine. Thing is- I don't -need- 20+mbps bandwidth, might be nice, but so is using Sonic's IP network instead of PacBell's :D. And not having at least one static IP would cause me a fair bit of work. As is, any change is going to make work for me, but I'd like to minimize it.

What are the magic words I need to tell the sales staff in order to provision this? (The last person I talked with didn't realize that what was once called PacBell is now called AT&T and they're the same company.)
by dane » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:10 pm
zbang wrote:
dane wrote:. But I'm a bit skeptical that's the case - else why wouldn't you have made that switch from the old ADSL1 over to Fusion ADSL2+ when it was offered in the last five to ten years?
Be skeptical if you want, but it's very simple- I didn't see any reason to change; what I've had has been working fine. Thing is- I don't -need- 20+mbps bandwidth, might be nice, but so is using Sonic's IP network instead of PacBell's :D. And not having at least one static IP would cause me a fair bit of work. As is, any change is going to make work for me, but I'd like to minimize it.

What are the magic words I need to tell the sales staff in order to provision this? (The last person I talked with didn't realize that what was once called PacBell is now called AT&T and they're the same company.)
You can write to sales@sonic.net and provide your username, and ask for a manual order onto the Fusion network. They can provide you with details on expected performance. It'll be slower than what we could offer via the IP Broadband platform, but you'll retain the option of a static IP as well as POTS voice, and remain entirely on the Sonic IP network.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
4 posts Page 1 of 1