Free WiFi for K12 students not available in East Oakland?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by Alyssa.Sayavedra » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:14 pm
Good afternoon,

Thank you for providing free WiFi to K12 students in some zip codes.

I am a high school teacher and want to refer students to your services, but it doesn't appear available in East Oakland (I am only able to search individual addresses, but tried 3 with no luck).

Can you confirm any Oakland zip codes that you do serve? Any plans to extend this coverage to families that need it the most?

Thank you,
Ms. Sayavedra
by dane » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:23 pm
Our free student/senior access service is available everywhere we can provide access via our own network — but not where we do not reach and resell via AT&T's platform.

Our own network in Oakland is available in two product technologies: fiber-optic access, which today is limited in the East Bay to Albany, Berkeley, and parts of Emeryville and Northern Oakland. The network covers only areas North of Hwy 24 & Hwy 580, a small segment of Oakland.

Our copper based service is slower - but still a great product where it is available. That is limited based upon location though, to homes within about one mile of each telephone CO (Central Office). See map here for those CO locations.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ctbmgfowniool ... 7.png?dl=0

Our fiber network is growing quickly around the Bay Area, and with it our reach and speed - but that won't help students and households struggling with distance learning today. So I'm afraid we're limited to products that are available where we do have current network reach.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
2 posts Page 1 of 1