The Quiet Wait for Fiber...

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by pogichoie » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:37 pm
As a proponent of Net Neutrality, I was happy to have a provider that had the same values, and I made the jump from AT&T to Sonic.

Unfortunately, Sonic didn't have fiber in my area, an unfortunate by-product of living in an affordable neighborhood. I stepped down from 30 Mbps to about 10 Mbps(!), which was infuriating, to say the least. Same infrastructure, but a different name... it just highlighted the inequalities that a massive corporation inflicts on others.

So, I wait. I still do because I believe in the values this company puts forward on the utility it provides.

What's the point of me posting this? I dunno. Maybe just a small voice to the Grand Ether saying, "Hey there. I'm here. I'll still be here."

I'll still be here when you guys get around to putting a Fiber line in the neighborhood.
by thomasheld » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:50 am
Have you tried calling to see if there is an update? Our wait was extended several months due to some local government issues, but it has been more than worth it. I too support Sonic since they are building out infrastructure where they can, as well as for their stance on net neutrality.

It has been great to have during this shelter in place and the bottleneck is my old network hardware.

Good luck!
by gambler » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:31 pm
I think my quiet wait is done. I'm paying $68.31 for 6 mbps down and 0.9 up in Alameda. Today Common Network came to my apartment complex offering plans starting at $34 a month for "Speeds up to 300 Mbps," no extra fees, no contract, two months free. Shoot, even if I only got the same speed, I'd be paying 50% of what I'm paying now.

I have to admit that all else aside, paying THIS much money so that OTHER areas can get fast service has been bugging me for years.

I've been a Sonic customer for over 20 years -- so long ago that they mailed me a CD to sign up originally, and when I called for help I actually talked to Eli on the phone. Obviously, I'm a fan. But when I'm working at night and I can't use both my laptop and a streaming service without the streaming service buffering constantly, I have to think that it's time for a change. I understand that Sonic made a business decision to provide very basic service to my area. I think I have to make a business decision on what I'm willing to pay for.
3 posts Page 1 of 1