Speed drop/Fiber

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by wannabeswede » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:44 am
I'm in Albany and recently started using a service called Shadow (Cloud computing) and while dealing with an issue I ran a speed test for the first time since I first got Sonic Fiber almost a year ago. People were surprised at how low my speeds were considering I was on Fiber

I'm on 5Ghz Wifi and my Sonic Speed Test is showing ~200Mpbs DL and 340Mbps UL

All equipment is the same and nothing has changed

I talked to support and they suggested connecting a laptop with a GB Ethernet port to the RJ45 coming out of the ONT (correct term?) to see what speed I see but unfortunately all my laptops are ultraslim and don't have an RJ45 port :-(

What does everyone else normally see for DL & UL speeds?

Tack (Swedish for thanks)
by cmeisel » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:27 pm
Wifi speeds are all over the place for me as fast as 400 and as low as 90. My wired speed is pretty much always 900-950 up and down. Wifi is unreliable and has nothing to do with Sonic. I would recommend to get an ethernet dongle on Amazon. As much work as it was, I wired most places where I wanted reliable fast speed. On my wifi machine, I still have ethernet dongles for things like backup and restore, where I might want max speed.
by larns576 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:45 am
At best I get 300Mb DL / 500Mb UL on wifi using the Eero Pro but usually I'm in the 100Mb-200Mb range depending on where I'm standing. Wifi speeds really depend on what router and client devices you have, but almost all tend to max out around 300-4000Mb download.

If you want faster speeds, I recommend looking into a wifi 6 mesh solution like the Wifi 6 Orbi , Wifi 6 Velop, or Amplifi Alien. You'd also have to upgrade the wireless card in your laptop to Wifi 6 as well. Even then, I doubt you'll get close to Gb DL on wifi.

200Mb on wifi is normal
You'll have to plug it in to get Gb speeds
by ankh » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:10 am
Wwe are on the Albany/Berkeley border and puzzled over slow fiber speeds for months; included testing by plugging Ethernet directly into the ONT. Short answer: our 2011-era Mac and Windows machines are outdated hardware and won't get better than about a quarter to a half of Sonic's available fiber speed.

Sonic tech visited, after we tested everything, and found he gets full gb fiber speed on his company Dell laptop connected to the same setup that gives us a quarter of rated fiber speed. Answer, buy newer computers (sigh). Sorry to bear bad news.
4 posts Page 1 of 1