Wireless Access Point that plays well with Sonic Pace 5268ac?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by pz1999 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:27 pm
We're in a small house. I am interested in improving the wifi quality all over the house, especially the points furthest from the Pace 5268ac.

The house has something great going for it-- there is wired ethernet everywhere. Because the house is wired, I would think I can do better using that wiring, than just using repeaters or even the Eero. My impression is that instead I'd get a more reliable and faster signal by getting a couple Wireless Access Points instead, which would be connected through the house wired ethernet, to the router (Pace 5268ac).

One possible system I've been thinking of is the TP-Link Deco M5, but put into Access Point mode, not into its standard mode. And, turning off the Pace's wifi so the TP-Link Deco m5 units can-- hopefully-- work out amongst themselves what strengths, channels, etc. are optimal.

Another possibility is just plugging in my old WNDR3700 as a WAP at the far end of the house, and leaving on the Pace's existing wifi for the area near it. However, presumably neither unit would be working to accommodate the signal strengths & channel choices of the other unit and I'd have to work that out myself (and networking is not my forte).

Anyway, I'm hoping to get some advice. Am I thinking along the right lines, and is the TP-Link Deco M5 a good choice? Am I right that the M5 units would coordinate in some way to optimize their channel and strength choices (much as an Eero or similar system does)?

Thank you for any tips!
by dane » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:14 pm
I'm in a similar setup, with wired Ethernet available in the home. And my decision was to use the Eero Pro units, with each of them connected via wired Ethernet. I've got one Beacon repeater out in the garage, where there isn't Ethernet, but aside from that it's a "wired mesh". The result is seamless transition as devices move around the house, plus reliable high-performance and no reliance on the wireless for backhaul. It's a win/win.

You can get the Eero Pro units from Sonic via http://sonic.com/betterwifi
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by pz1999 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:33 pm
Thank you for the response. I didn't know you could use multiple Eero Pro units in the same setup this way-- it's good to know that's a possibility.
by dane » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:09 pm
pz1999 wrote:Thank you for the response. I didn't know you could use multiple Eero Pro units in the same setup this way-- it's good to know that's a possibility.
Yep, they can "backhaul" from one unit to another via wireless or Ethernet, all automatically. It's also useful in the other direction; you can use Ethernet output from a wireless unit to provide a wired connection to a device that might not be able to connect with stability via WiFi. The Eero platform has been great for our customers.

It's also been really nice from a support perspective, because we can see high-level info about the Eero devices and their connections to each-other, as well as a basic census of connected devices and the quality of their connections. This pairs well with our internet uplink diagnostics, and allows Sonic to provide end-to-end support.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
4 posts Page 1 of 1