static ip and reverse dns

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by tristan.mahe » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:15 pm
Hi,

Happy Sonic customer, 1Gb offer from AT&T, I wish I was on proper Sonic network, but it's not coming here yet :/

I am self hosting quite a few things now at home thanks to the unmettered connection, and would like to move my mail server from a hoster to home too. It is amazing to be able to use cheap SBC to host your own stuff instead of paying for a rented vps in a dc...

I was wondering if there's a way for me to get:
- a static ip
- a way to change the reverse DNS
- a small block of ips

so I could do things a bit better...

Especially for the MX of my domain, would be way better to have the reverse dns option... currently considering keeping a cheap VPS just for that and doing some VPN port forwarding, but it kinda defeat the purpose of self hosting…..
by dane » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:55 pm
No, afraid not.

And note that consumer connection IPs are generally in a "DUL", or list of IPs that are not trusted for email hosting by some recipient servers. While they may not reject all mail, this will often be part of a scoring component that's used in antispam efforts, and this may reduce deliverability.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by ewhac » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:14 pm
dane wrote:No, afraid not.

And once again: I would very much like to know the Why behind this.
And note that consumer connection IPs are generally in a "DUL", or list of IPs that are not trusted for email hosting by some recipient servers. [ ... ]
Huh. This suggests DynDNS may not help much. Lovely.
by dane » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:41 pm
With the IP Broadband product, it's a dynamic IP service. And yes, you're right that DynDNS isn't going to help with something like SMTP hosting, which will be impaired on any residential connection due to trust issues related to antispam efforts.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by msandrof » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:46 am
And don't forget about the port blocking, at least on Sonic's fiber. I believe they block port 25.
by tristan.mahe » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:27 pm
well wireguard and a very cheap vps solves the issue then.

But it would be nice to have a static ip options with configurable reverse on Sonic network ( I understand AT&T you have little control over ).
6 posts Page 1 of 1