Legacy DSL support ending July 31?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
23 posts Page 1 of 3
by macguyver » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:22 pm
Recently received a Sonic email encouraging me to upgrade before July 31 and noting:
"As of July 31, 2020, Sonic will no longer support your existing Legacy DSL internet service."

I called sales but no such service is available in this area, only Legacy DSL. The agents I spoke with said this was impacting around 800 customers and they were receiving calls about it.

I see no postings about this in the Sonic Blogs. Is this a Sonic decision? Is this AT&T pulling the plug? What is the story here?

I have asked in previous years what I could do to help bring upgrades to areas unsupported by FUSION such as here and never received a response. Now it appears Sonic is just pulling out entirely?
by dct » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:40 pm
Hey MacGuyver,

We sent out a communication in error - you should have received a follow up to the original offer to upgrade. Sorry for the confusion!

We're working to address the trouble we had with some upgrades, and we'll hopefully have this sorted out soon. Keep an eye on your email for another communication which should have clearer messaging in regards to whether or not you can upgrade, and if so, which options are available in your area.

I *believe* there is more information forthcoming regarding this decision so keep an eye out for upcoming emails and blog posts. If we don't see that soon, I'll see if I can get a concise answer for you.
Dan T.
Community & Escalations Manager
707-547-3400
@Sonic
by macguyver » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:49 pm
I appreciate the response. Hopefully good news is coming because we would hate to leave Sonic.
by ewhac » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:20 pm
Until static IP is made available for fiber, be aware there are some subscribers who may wish to hold on to their copper.
by dane » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:44 pm
ewhac wrote:Until static IP is made available for fiber, be aware there are some subscribers who may wish to hold on to their copper.
The migration path for customers on the Legacy DSL products (AT&T DSLAM ADSL1) varies by location. Some can move to Fusion, some to Fiber, and some to AT&T-partnered IP Broadband. If Fusion is the catch platform, static IP would remain available (though the IP would change as part of the transition.) But for more, the move will be to IP Broadband, because generally speaking if Fusion was available, most folks already would have moved to it due to the better performance and features. So in that case, moving would mean the end of static IP availability. For most consumers, that's not a factor, but for some end-users and applications, it'll be an issue.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by macguyver » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:00 pm
Still no word on this issue. No email or contact outside the forums.
by zbang » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:55 pm
Following on this-

How do I tell it Fusion actually -is- available to me (wire center ALMDCA11 switch ALMDCA11DS0)? Not "we'd rather not" or "maybe you're too far", but really provision-able. At one time, it was offered for my location.

Assuming that Fusion and it's static IPs really aren't available, what can Sonic provide that will get a static address or two? A GRE tunnel into the data center and addresses from a netblock there? A wireguard tunnel? Other options? Most of the people that still have statics are going to be the more sophisticated users and able to set up the gateways/etc.

If AT&T does install Sonic service, do they take out the existing POTS line? (I kind of like having something that just doesn't go down.)

Thanks.
by macguyver » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:46 am
With current events impacting nearly everything, is Legacy DSL support still ending July 31?

If so, is this a decision internally at Sonic, or is this influenced/mandated by AT&T?
by macguyver » Tue May 05, 2020 4:12 pm
Hey Sonic team... It is now May 5 with no word on this in the blog nor email notices.

The last PM I received here in the forums was March 13.

I sent two PMs since then (April 3 and April 23) asking for status. Both remain unread (in my Outbox) as of today.

We need to make decisions soon. What is happening with "Legacy DSL" customers?
by k-b » Sat May 09, 2020 3:32 pm
I have been watching and waiting for news on this topic also. When I received the initial notice, I to was informed that I had no possible play with Sonic after July. I continue to find that hard to believe. I would like to stay with them, just because it’s easy and convenient. Also because my alternative, Suddenlink, sucks. Come on Dane. Throw me a life vest.
k-b.
23 posts Page 1 of 3