Can no longer scan on our Brother MFC-L2740w

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by mmorg » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:21 pm
Sonic installed few days ago. We lost our ability to scan. We have a Brother HL2170w hardwired printer connected to my computer and available to Ginny's laptop wirelessly. Our ability to print has not been impacted. We also have a Brother-MFC-L2740W printer/scanner which still prints from either computer wirelessly. However we lost the ability to scan from either computer. When we use our simple scan application, as we did before, get message...cannot find scanner. We use Linux Ubuntu.
by kyle.depasquale » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:19 pm
Did the second printer get connected to your new wireless router (I'm assuming you're using one that was installed at that time)? Without knowing more, I'd venture a guess that your printer just needs to be set up with your new wireless SSID/Password, and you should be up and running.
by mmorg767@yahoo.com » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:20 pm
yes, followed the Brother guidance on printer to enter new network and password with guidance of Sonic tech rep but still does not recognize either computer.
by captron248 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:57 pm
Could the printer's IP address have changed ?

It's been a while and I'm about as far from an Linux expert as you can get....

Since you are printing from Linux I think CUPS detects printers automatically and magically configures your computer to use the printers it detects. This doesn't include the scanner so I seem to remember there was a hard coded config file for that. Don't have my Linux system with the printer handy but will look later. Any Linux wizards ?

Or I could be wrong...won't be the first time. :-)
by ewhac » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:59 pm
This is a guess, worth precisely what you paid for it:

Many modern Wireless Access Points (WAPs) have a security feature whereby the WAP will prevent all clients connecting to that WAP from seeing or talking each other, to prevent hostile clients from snooping traffic or probing/attacking machines on the same subnet. This makes sense on a public WAP where you don't want your Linux laptop attacked by the bell-end over in the corner who brought in their compromised Windows machine.

However, on a private, WEP2-secured network whose clients are fully patched, it makes less sense. I don't know if Sonic's Pace/Arris modems have this security feature (I visited those menus just long enough to turn off all the radios), but you may care to poke around in the config menus to see if there's a feature like that in there, turn it off, and see if that helps.
5 posts Page 1 of 1