Fiber service in SF Chinatown (Grant Ave)

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by joeandramy » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:11 pm
Hi I've received a number of emails over the say past 12 months indicating that fiber service is coming to my building. However Grant Ave has underground utilities. Can I assume this means that fiber service isn't going to be available anytime soon, because of the issues with micro trenching?
by vaibhav2614 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:32 pm
+1 I live in Chinatown (Washington Street & Grant Ave) and I'd also love to see Sonic Fiber in the neighborhood.

The existing Sonic DSL is super slow and is often below 1 Mbps. Should I assume that fiber service is a longshot for me anytime soon?

What does the city of San Francisco need to do to change this outcome?
by joeandramy » Sat May 30, 2020 12:42 am
Can any one from Sonic provide any info?
by joeandramy » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:42 pm
Is anyone at Sonic able to comment on whether Grant Ave is actually getting fiber? All of the utilities are below ground but I'm wondering if AT&T is installing fiber that you are then reselling? I'm getting "construction update" emails from Sonic that indicate things are almost done and that splicing is now beginning. That's the only scenario that makes sense, that is unless Sonic was able to put the conduit in the ground here before the city stopped allowing microtrenching. I know we are very close to the CO on Pine Street less than a half-mile at my building.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide. Since the shelter in place order has been in place, our service is TERRIBLE and we have to constantly reboot our router to maintain any type of connection.
by joeandramy » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:28 pm
I've got an update and it is bad news, unfortunately. I received an email on 8/21 informing me that fiber was now live in my neighborhood. I immediately clicked the link but was just offered bonded dsl as my lone upgrade option. I gave Sonic support a call and much to my disappointment, I was informed that Grant Ave was mistakenly identified by their "systems" to receive this notification and email about fiber going live. The correct street name was Grand but somehow their advanced AI mixe up the too (thanks Rehoboam) Mind you, I've been receiving these emails since March of this year about fiber construction in my area. Anyways, Sonic is the only option we have in my building and this was a very disappointing experience.
by jerrielm » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:07 am
joeandramy wrote:I've got an update and it is bad news, unfortunately. I received an email on 8/21 informing me that fiber was now live in my neighborhood. I immediately clicked the link but was just offered bonded dsl as my lone upgrade option. I gave Sonic support a call and much to my disappointment, I was informed that Grant Ave was mistakenly identified by their "systems" to receive this notification and email about fiber going live. The correct street name was Grand but somehow their advanced AI mixe up the too (thanks Rehoboam) Mind you, I've been receiving these emails since March of this year about fiber construction in my area. Anyways, Sonic is the only option we have in my building and this was a very disappointing experience.
Hello!

I am sorry for the confusion with sending out misinformation to you. It is not our intent to give customer misinformation. Hopefully we will be able to announce new fiber expansions in your area soon! Let me know if there is anything we can assist you with!

Best Wishes!
6 posts Page 1 of 1