Need publicly accessible IP on ztemodem for foscam

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by thekravers » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:46 pm
We've had sonic for a year.

We have a ztemodem. We have a wireless foscam IP camera.

I'm able to access the camera when on my network, but I'd like to be able to access the camera from outside my network, so a publicly accessible IP address from my zte is what I need. Sonic support was very helpful, but indicated that this is outside of their technical support capabilities.

Can someone here help me or at least point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Amber
by desertflyer » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:53 pm
You might want to try something like DynDNS. It'll work with either a static or dynamic IP. Also, you'll probably need to forward the ports in your router to access the cam from outside your LAN. There are probably instructions that go along with your IP cam that can help figure out the basic setup requirements.
by kevinmcm » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:48 pm
First thing is to get a static IP address from Sonic so you always know where the public side your home system is. DNS for a personal domain name is nice too and can be added any time later.

You should be able to tell your router forward specific port numbers of its own to the webcam so that you don't need to buy multiple addresses. Look up "port forwarding" or "opening ports" in the manual. For example, port 8000 on the public side of the modem can route to your webcam's interface at 192.168.1.51 port 80.

You may have to give your camera a static IP address too so that your router knows where to send traffic on the local side. It's a local-only address so there's nothing to do with Sonic in this step. Your router probably has an address range for that. If DHCP is 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.50, then 192.168.1.51 to 192.168.1.100 should work. The manual hopefully has details. Some evil routers use MAC rather than IP addressing for port forwarding.

Your camera will likely get hundreds of hacking attempts per day. That can jump into the thousands when there's a new Windows exploit going around. Don't point the lens at anything too private.

Still another option is to buy two static IP addresses from Sonic. Set the modem to "bridged" mode so it does nothing to alter traffic. You'd then connect your webcam and an external router into the modem. This is simpler but it can cost more and be more difficult to secure.
by Guest » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:30 am
desertflyer wrote:You might want to try something like DynDNS. It'll work with either a static or dynamic IP.
Just to note that the free version of DynDNS is pretty much gone, from July 2013 onwards.
One list dynamic DNS providers including free ones eg. afraid.org, etc.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Dynamic_DNS
by desertflyer » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:04 am
Guest wrote:
desertflyer wrote:You might want to try something like DynDNS. It'll work with either a static or dynamic IP.
Just to note that the free version of DynDNS is pretty much gone, from July 2013 onwards.
Thanks for the correction.
5 posts Page 1 of 1