Pace 4111N (AT&T version) problem with Sonic

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by splitit » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:46 am
Hi,

I can't seem to get my AT&T Pace 4111N to work with Sonic. I believer the only requirement is to change PPoE to DHCP. Is there anything else I might have missed? Thank you.

In desperado mode,

=A=
by dane » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:54 pm
I'd guess that changing to dynamic/DHCP would be the only change needed, but each service provider customizes the code loaded for their specific network configuration so there could be other issues.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by digitalbitstream » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:18 pm
According to http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/r27081472-
it is possible the Pace is "locked" into PPPoE mode, and the configuration for something different won't take effect.

As an alternative you can buy any of a number of generic ADSL2+ modems on ebay, and do fine. Or get an ADSL2+ router with a faster local net or better WiFi, compared to the relatively weak Pace 4111N.
by dane » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:42 am
The WiFi on the Pace 4111N is quite good, supporting 802.11b/g/n on 2.4ghz, with MIMO 2x2 antenna diversity and variable power levels up to 400mw. In our lab, it tests far better than any other device we've offered in the past, including the Comtrend, Motorola and ZTE units.

You can find better WiFi devices, for example those offering 3x3 antenna diversity or 5ghz dual/concurrent frequencies. New 802.11ac devices are also reaching the market. These are worth considering if you are using WiFi to access resources on the LAN such as a shared file server. But for Internet access, we generally find that the 802.11n 2.4ghz 2x2 WiFi in the Pace 4111N is not a bottleneck.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by digitalbitstream » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:57 pm
dane wrote:The WiFi on the Pace 4111N is quite good, supporting 802.11b/g/n on 2.4ghz, with MIMO 2x2 antenna diversity and variable power levels up to 400mw. In our lab, it tests far better than any other device we've offered in the past, including the Comtrend, Motorola and ZTE units.
I find the Pace, like most modern routers, has sacrificed speed at short distance for range. I have a test that runs on a browser loading a image and reporting (in javascript) the load time:
10ms 140ms 150ms 180ms.... error 4444ms... 150ms 149ms...
No Internet is involved.

As a I walk around the house I can define the boundary when reception goes over the cliff, and I get errors not slowness. Angle to walls matters, as does construction (plaster is worse than drywall). Huge sheet metal objects seem to matter little (inside the oven is about the same as outside), but the fridge makes a shadow. Wire mesh is bad. Stucco is a killer, but windows give you some respite.

The Pace ran about the same as a cheapest router in my test, a $20 Linksys. An ancient Westtel "G" router held its own.

The Pace rocks with line of sight in the same room. It might rock with two clients at once... but I rarely have that situation. At the margins of distance, the pace is a middleweight.
5 posts Page 1 of 1