Slowly declining Fusion speed.

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by twoescudo » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:04 am
Hello all,

The Fusion connection started off, weeks ago, with about 5.5 megabits down and .91 megabits up. The sign up page for Fusion showed that the house is almost 8000 feet from the nearest thingy that matters for speed.

I have been using three, online speed testing sites, including the one at Sonic. Speed has gradually declined. Today the Sonic speed meter shows 4.84 down and .73 up. I always ensure that no downloads or uploads are running when I do the tests. I have tried other phone plugs in different parts of the house to rule out bad home wiring. I run the tests at different times of day on different computers.

5.5 down and .91 up is not bad. As the down and up speeds decline though it seems not so good.

Is there anything else I can test here at the house? Could Sonic support check the connection at the Sonic end of the wire? I hope there is not a cat there chewing on the wires. I've seen that happen before.

Thanks,
Steve
by cownose » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:40 am
I am in a similar situation. This started happening just a few days ago. I have a dual fusion connection which totals up to about 9mb, consistently. However in the past couple of days, I noticed YouTube videos on my iPad began to stutter, which was never an issue in the year or so I used sonic.net. I did a quick speed test at speediest.net and saw that my downstream seems to be capped at just under 2mb, while my upstream remained unaffected. A 2mb connection can definitely lead to the stuttering I'm seeing; my old Internet was a 3mb connection which had the exact same problems playing video on the iPads YouTube player.

I see the same video stuttering with all devices I use on my sonic.net connection: phone, tablet, desktop computer all stutter when streaming video now. If I turn on my phone's hotspot and tether my tablet and computer to it, the same videos play just fine.

I really hope this is a remote issue that can be solved on sonics end.
by virtualmike » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:52 pm
Call 611 and work with the folks there. They have the tools to troubleshoot the connections and determine the best steps to resolve any problems.
by cownose » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:46 pm
Woke up today and connection seems fine now. I didn't make any changes nor did I do any troubleshooting myself. Problem just went away and I can stream consistently now. Speedtest shows 8.5mb connection downstream, which is what I usually get.

Virtualmike is right. Try giving 611 a call from your fusion phone line. The folks there can generally do more for you than the help desk at a typical ISP.
by twoescudo » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:06 am
virtualmike wrote:Call 611 and work with the folks there. They have the tools to troubleshoot the connections and determine the best steps to resolve any problems.
Thank you for the suggestion. I will call 611.

Steve
5 posts Page 1 of 1