How Often Does Your ATT Fiber Go Down?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by gbrainin » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:49 am
If you have resold AT&T Fiber, what's your experience been with outages?

I just finished my second weekend in a row without service, and am still waiting for an AT&T service appointment. Last week, the service mysteriously restarted after an AT&T truck was seen in the neighborhood (so I canceled my appointment); this morning there was another truck in the area, so I asked the tech. He seemed confident that something had chewed through the cable and our service would return after he re-fused it.

I'd like to know other people's experience with this sort of outage. Is this kind of thing typical, or did we just hit the outage lottery two weekends in a row?
by blhotsky » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:53 am
I'm in the Richmond Annex and have had the resold ATT FTTN for 4 years. I think I've had 1 service outage that wasn't related to a power outage. I WFH, so at one point I had been using Comcast as a backup link for the resold ATT FTTN, but Comcast had so many service outages in the span of 8 months I cancelled their service.

Would *LOVE* to have access to real gigabit speeds in my neighborhood. Would love that to be Sonic.
by Artakamoose » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:54 am
I've had zero issues with their service in several years. It's been way more reliable than the Comcast service it replaced, and that was fairly reliable. That said, there's word that some of the sheathing in the fiber cables they use has organic ingredients that critters like. We haven't had any issues despite lots of critters living near us, but what you're experiencing isn't unheard of.
by taa_sonic » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:58 pm
Only one outage since early November -- the original ONT failed just a few days after installation. It took AT&T a couple of days to roll a truck, but once it arrived, they fixed the problem immediately (and told me they'd seen several cases of ONT failure, so they suspected they'd received a batch of bad units). No problems since.
by gtwrek » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:24 pm
I had a similar bad ONT (maybe it was the router, I don't recall now) right after installation. Not ideal, but not unexpected.

About a year or so in, I had a hard fail. On the line with tech support for over an hour. Try this, try that, reboot this, reboot that - the whole script. ATT decides I need yet another new router. Set that up for delivery in three days. Just after setting that up, and hanging up the phone, I notice ATT truck over at my neighbor's house. "What's up?" I ask. Evidently the whole neighborhood was out. Very frustrating that I wasted over an hour on the phone with ATT Tech support, when the base problem was systemic to the neighborhood. Had to drive to UPS when the (new) shipped router arrived to return it to ATT - unopened. Left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

More problematic is the firmware updates. My Fiber line from ATT has died 3 times over the last 24 months because of borked firmware updates for the PACE router. ATT can't handle quality control at all on their firmware. It's not their strength. The current Pace router firmware is broken, and workarounds must be used. There's other threads discussing those problems.

Regards,
Mark
by Artakamoose » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:49 pm
Oh yeah, the gateway firmware is terrible. Tons of problems. Once you learn how to bypass them though, it's easy sailing.
by gbrainin » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:49 am
Thanks to everyone who replied. Just made it through a whole weekend without loss of service, so I'm beginning to rebuild confidence. Also, I learned that I was lucky to have been assigned an Arris BGW210 on install.
7 posts Page 1 of 1