connection problem with TrendNet modem/router

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by trancp » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:20 pm
Hi everyone,

I recently changed my modem router to a TrendNet Wireless N ADSL 2/2+ Modem Router (TEW-658BRM) because my old one wasn't working. However I'm having problems...I can't connect. I thought the one I had was faulty (it didn't work at home and I tested it with someone else who has sonic too) so I exchanged for a new one...but it's still not working. I've followed the instructions to set it up and even called sonic to see if they could help. It says that the connection should be working, but I can't get get online still. Anyone have any experience with this?

**My brother has the TEW-657BRM model from TrendNet and it's working fine for him.

Thanks in advance!
by clairet » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:27 pm
I have a couple ideas that may help you out:

1) Are you getting an IP address? If you aren't, please make sure that your computer is set to dhcp.
2) Did you double check that the modem has the correct settings? The VPI/VCI should be 0/35, dhcp should be enabled (if you don't have static IP addresses), and the PPPoE option should be changed to 1483 bridged ethernet (or similar).
3) Are you using any other devices such as firewalls, airport routers, switches, etc? If you are, please make sure that your modem has bridge service enabled and dhcp disabled. Also, always plug in the modem first.
4) Try running the "diagnose connection issues" tool if you are using a PC. If you are using a Mac, try the "assist me" tool and choose diagnostics.

If these steps don't work, try using your brother's modem and see if will connect. If it does, try to compare the settings and match them up as much as you can. If this STILL doesn't work, you may want to call TrendNet themselves and see if they have any thoughts on this.

Good luck!
Claire T.
Sonic.net Technical Support
2 posts Page 1 of 1