Upgrade 100Mbps to 1000 Mbps Questions

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by heywardfam » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:58 am
We are currently on Sonic 100Mbps resold AT&T FTTN. We've been trying YouTubeTV and have been noticing some compression issues and general glitching (frequently 3 or 4 people online at a time...plenty of video streaming). I thought about trying to upgrade to 1,000 Mbps service to see if that helped, but your website says it requires installation (and I suspect that going full gigabit won't help, but for $20 was willing to give it a try). Is that a new physical piece of equipment (ONT or different modem from AT&T)? Does it require different wiring between the ONT and AT&T modem (currently re-wired from existing internal phone cabling in our case)?
I thought when I ordered the original service that I could upgrade and downgrade "at will". If that's not correct now, would it be after an upgrade?
by Larns576 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:04 pm
It's hard to say where your bottleneck is regarding your streaming issues, but the 1000Mbps should provide a noticeable improvement in general surfing/streaming. I suspect that the 1000Mbps service is fiber so pings should be lower, allowing for a "snappier" feeling when surfing. 1000Mbps should provide more than enough bandwidth for your entire family's streaming needs.

If the new service is indeed fiber, new wiring will need to be run from the pole to the ONT, then to the router. You can then either use cat5/6 to connect your pc to the router or simply use wifi.

Home phone wiring is not compatible with fiber so that will no longer be used.

For +$20/mo, I'd upgrade in a heartbeat.
by jacob.karinen » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:27 pm
Checking your account there wouldn't need to be an install as you're already connecting over their fiber network. The upgrade process shouldn't take too long but it would restart the 12month contract. Honestly, 100Mbps should provide enough for your family's needs unless you were all streaming in 4k on different devices at the same time. Are you connecting over wireless? If you are that could be where you're experiencing a bottleneck and the best way to test that is the next time you notice slow speeds, try hardwiring and see if the issue persists on the device with the physical connection. If it does then that may indicate an issue that needs troubleshooting. Let us know if you have any other questions.
Jacob K.
Community and Escalations Supervisor
Sonic
by heywardfam » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:04 pm
Thank You
4 posts Page 1 of 1