Switching from single-line AT&T DSL to bonded Fusion

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by ctate » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:50 pm
I would like to switch from AT&T residential phone + DSL to Sonic.net Fusion broadband, with the bonded twin-line high speed service. It is not clear on the website, but I'm guessing that this involves two physical phone lines, drawn all the way into the residence -- is that right? I do not plan to actually use a second telephone line, but it sounds like the extra wiring is necessary.

Right now I have only a single phone line in my unit. I do not actually know what might be involved in getting a second line. I know it probably needs a new physical line run from the primary NIC for the building into my unit, but for all I know it may also require a new line dropped to that NIC from the street wiring.

Is there any way to find out ahead of time what will be required? As it is I'm expecting that i need to be home when the installation happens, not just for verification of service but also to deal with the work of running new wire.

I'd also like to avoid dealing with AT&T for any of this, but that goes without saying... ;)
by wa2ibm » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:19 pm
Bonded Fusion does require a second line and will include a dial tone on that line. Nobody says you have to use it, but it's sometimes handy to have. You could use it for a dedicated FAX line or something.

Most all Multiple Dwelling Units (MDU's) have a multiple-pair main cable that feeds a wiring closet somewhere. If you order bonded Fusion from Sonic, AT&T will deliver another pair to the building DMARK, label it, then leave. It will be up to you to get it into your unit. Your building management may have someone on call to handle that (probably for a fee), or you can have Sonic do that work for you for an installation fee. That will also include making sure that your data service is working properly.
by ctate » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:28 pm
Okay, so it will require a second physical line. That's what I thought; good to know.

The "building DMARK" is terminology I don't know; sorry, I'm not that experienced in this stuff. That's what I was calling the "primary NIC for the building"? In my case it's a box in the basement that drops from the overhead lines on the street run to, then has labelled breakouts for individual units. So, sounds like AT&T will need to have me around to get access to that box in order to run a new line from the street. Who arranges / schedules that? I can't imagine I'd need to order (and pay for) a second line from AT&T just to turn around and hand it to Sonic.net... right?

Also good to have confirmation about needing the second line run into my unit.

Maybe I'll stick with single-line. :(
by wa2ibm » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:17 pm
Sorry, "DMARK" is the terminology for the "Line of Demarcation" between AT&T and the customer "IW" (Inside Wiring).

In a private residence, this is usually located at the "NID" (Network Interface Device), which contains a test jack allowing the resident to isolate their IW from the AT&T line and test the line prior to making a trouble call to AT&T.

At a commercial location, it's usually a punch-down block of connections located adjacent to the buildings IW located on other punch-down blocks, and they're cross-connected with jumper pairs.

In MDU's, it may be either of the above, depending on the number of units, whether it's owned or rented, etc. If you could include a photo of that cross-connect location, it might help describing to you what needs to be done.

Also, you didn't say whether this is a rental unit or an owned condo, or something of that type. State regulations stipulate that in rental units, the property owner is responsible for the IW.

edit to add:
As for your second pair (line), you make the order with Sonic and they handle all of the interaction with AT&T. If someone needs to be there, then Sonic will let you know if that's the case.
by virtualmike » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:09 pm
wa2ibm wrote:Also, you didn't say whether this is a rental unit or an owned condo, or something of that type. State regulations stipulate that in rental units, the property owner is responsible for the IW.
But to clarify, in rental units, the property owner is responsible for providing one working phone jack to the tenant. How that is accomplished is not stated in the regulations. The building owner legally could choose not to allow a tenant to have a second phone line. Most good landlords will try to accommodate good tenants.

Most MDUs with four or more units built since the 1960s (or rewired since then) have multiple pairs going from the MPOE (aka Demarc) to each unit. Most of those buildings usually have spare pairs from the nearest pole or junction box, as well, so it's rare (but always possible) that AT&T needs to string extra wiring into the building.
5 posts Page 1 of 1