Any Wifi 6 ready Residential Gateways coming soon for Fiber customers?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
14 posts Page 1 of 2
by RWCFiber » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:50 am
A Wifi 6 ready residential gateway would be a very welcome addition to customers who use one, and a compelling reason to get an RG for those on the fence about renting one.
by dane » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:24 am
Not yet. WiFi 6 equipment is still early in the market, expensive and lacking some features and support we’d need. But I’m guessing we will see WiFi 6 solutions we could consider in 2020.

But meanwhile, our eero product solves the rea problem with residential WiFi: coverage and speed. WiFi 6’s primary benefit is in multiple streams to multiple devices in the same area, a problem where the biggest benefit is in congested environments like airports, malls and stadiums. Mesh WiFi brings APs closer to devices, which yields a bigger benefit than multiple streams to WiFi 6 devices - because this assumes many devices in a small space, AND that those clients support WiFi 6. Bonus with the mesh units if they have a separate backhaul channel or can be wired - both of these capabilities are in the eero pro units we offer.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by RWCFiber » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:25 pm
dane wrote:But meanwhile, our eero product solves the rea problem with residential WiFi: coverage and speed.
Is the eero product rental fee the same as the standard Pace RG?
by dane » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:16 am
RWCFiber wrote:
dane wrote:But meanwhile, our eero product solves the rea problem with residential WiFi: coverage and speed.
Is the eero product rental fee the same as the standard Pace RG?
It depends how many you take, but the base configuration is one pro unit ($8/mo) plus one beacon unit ($4/mo) for a total of $12. This compares to the RG at $9.50.

For maximum performance, you could select to use all pro units, they’ve got a separate channel for backhaul uplink, versus the beacon which does not.

In my home I’ve got a few pro units which I’ve connected on existing Ethernet In various rooms, plus one beacon unit on the outside of an outbuilding in the back yard. That one gives good indoor Inside that building, and outdoor coverage Is good throughout the property. There are a few Nest and Ring cameras (front driveway, rear garage motion light/camera, doorbell, etc) so outdoor coverage is important.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Manish » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:13 pm
Wanted to see if there was any update on a WiFi 6 router.
by mchampse » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:16 pm
Just wanted to see if there was an update on a WiFi 6 router.
by bubba198 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:55 am
So is "mesh" just the new sexy name of deploying multiple APs? :)

"Bonus with the mesh units if they have a separate backhaul channel...."
by dane » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:09 pm
bubba198 wrote:So is "mesh" just the new sexy name of deploying multiple APs? :)

"Bonus with the mesh units if they have a separate backhaul channel...."
Mesh systems are plug-and-play, they self-determine the best uplink path, either wired Ethernet if available, or via another device, maximizing capacity using multiple radios and channels, etc. Today I've got a number of the Eero units in my home, and it's certainly easier and better coverage than we've ever experienced.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by dane » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:10 pm
mchampse wrote:Just wanted to see if there was an update on a WiFi 6 router.
Not at this time, no. WiFi 6 units are a bit too new for broad carrier-managed rollout at this point, but I'm sure they'll become the standard in the future as that resolves and we see volume scale-up.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by bayfiber » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:20 am
dane wrote:
mchampse wrote:Just wanted to see if there was an update on a WiFi 6 router.
Not at this time, no. WiFi 6 units are a bit too new for broad carrier-managed rollout at this point, but I'm sure they'll become the standard in the future as that resolves and we see volume scale-up.
Wifi 6 Eero units just showed up on the FCC site today. You may want to jump on this as soon as possible when it is available for ISPs.

https://zatznotfunny.com/2020-09/eero6/
14 posts Page 1 of 2