Fiber in San Mateo

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
66 posts Page 2 of 7
by jonasdoerr » Wed May 13, 2020 8:43 am
Wow, I now have fiber - what a difference! Thanks a lot!

I got one question though: The technician gave me a RG and told me that this would be free of charge the first year. To make sure everything works I agreed to take it but I actually don't need it. Now Sonic is charging me 10$ per month depsite being told it was free of charge the first year.
Well, I actually don't care since I don't need it anyway so I asked to return it. No response.
Yes I did ask support more than once - still no response.
Any idea on how to return equipment?

Thanks!
by Larns576 » Wed May 13, 2020 10:37 am
i believe they charge you $10 but you also get a $10 discount (for the 1st 12 mo) - so basically it's free. If you return it, you'd lose the $10 discount. Double check your bill to ensure you did receive the discount.
by joeyyung911 » Wed May 13, 2020 2:18 pm
You get the introductory price reduction of $10 for the first year, with the requirement of you keeping the modem, so that evens out. Return it in one year.
Excelsior, Sonic Fiber
by Larns576 » Wed May 13, 2020 7:00 pm
jonasdoerr wrote:Any idea on how to return equipment?
To return, just call Sonic support and they'll give you instructions and/or a label + RMA # (assuming Sonic Fiber).

If it's ATT fiber through Sonic, the router is required.
by jonasdoerr » Wed May 13, 2020 7:16 pm
...I don't see that credit showing up on my 49 line bill. I just get charged 80$ and see
Fusion Fiber RG Rental 11.84
Fusion Fiber RG Rental 9.50
some credits (for the disconnected line and returned equipment) and the usual confusing taxes for the phone line.

From my understanding the bill should be
Fiber 50
taxes for phone line (some amount).

I'll wait for the next bill maybe they sort it out by then - still not a very user friendly bill...
by joeyyung911 » Wed May 13, 2020 9:41 pm
Probably only applies to NEW customers.
Excelsior, Sonic Fiber
by davidellsworth » Wed May 20, 2020 8:15 pm
A progress report: on Tuesday May 19, a Sonic team installed messenger line on Bellevue Ave between Ellsworth Ave and the train tracks. The messenger line is not the fiber but is the steel cable that will support it.

I asked an installer when he guessed that the fiber will be run, and he said two weeks. I treat this as a very rough estimate.

- David
by bjeung » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:04 pm
So while I continue to patiently wait on my pre-orders for both home and office I got some potentially bad news. Some PUC folks were walking around outside my office and when I asked what they were doing they said they were evaluating undergrounding the utilities. Seems like this might completely sink my chances of getting fiber to the office at least. Does Sonic have some sort of agreement with the City of San Mateo that give them access if utilities go underground or does Sonic need to hurry up and string theses poles to be considered pre-existing and included or am I just screwed? This is for 25th Ave between the railroad tracks and El Camino.
by elbertoh » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:41 pm
As of this month, your area is 24% activated!
Hayward Park! Though I think at this rate, realistically fiber won't be available until mid 2021 :(
by larns576 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:28 pm
elbertoh wrote:
As of this month, your area is 24% activated!
Hayward Park! Though I think at this rate, realistically fiber won't be available until mid 2021 :(
If people are already activated, I assume that means the backbone and some street fiber have already been laid and they're already stringing it to people's homes: 24% up and running.

With 24% already activated, I would think yours would be ready well before mid 2021. My guess would be sometime this year.
66 posts Page 2 of 7