Fiber in San Mateo

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
66 posts Page 1 of 7
by Jones_19 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:47 am
Hi all,

I was excited to see the Sonic trucks installing fiber one street away from my house and was wondering when it would be realistic to expect installation... anyone here who could share his or her experience? Is it a matter of days or weeks?

Thanks!

Jones
by Jahndlvd » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:57 pm
I received this construction update from January:

As of this month, your area is 15% activated. I'm sure you have seen many Sonic Trucks and team members in your area prepping your street for installations. We expect your area to be fully live by the end of Spring! We are so happy to bring you the fastest internet in the nation!
by bjeung » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:13 pm
Did you already pre-order. If so, you should have received this email yesterday:

The Sonic Team is preparing your area to move into the In Engineering Phase of your fiber build. In this early stage of the fiber build, we work very diligently with the data received from our engineers in determining the appropriate area to expand Sonic. We have run into a few barriers with the city and central office in your area, but expect to stay on schedule. We are happy to be coming to you soon and delivering the fastest internet in the nation. Happy New Year!
by dane » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:18 am
Existing customers shouldn’t pre-order, as that’ll result in the creation of two accounts, overlapping services and a mess during the transition.

But I think existing customers are not getting the construction updates. I’m talking to the team about that now.

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by bjeung » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:26 am
In this phase, our team is collecting data for review and analysis to determine if your neighborhood is viable for fiber. This process can take anywhere between 9-12 Months. Because of this, we're going to lessen the amount of communication you receive until you get dropped into "construction phase" where updates occur more regularly from month-to-month.
It would have been nice to not have to wait 11 months to find out it's going to be another year but at least it's finally a realistic update. Now I can finally make a decision on what to do for internet in the meantime instead of the perpetual limbo.

See everyone in a year!
by RWCFiber » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:01 am
bjeung wrote:It would have been nice to not have to wait 11 months to find out it's going to be another year but at least it's finally a realistic update!
Same update in RWC but I only had to wait 6 months to find out I might not get fiber at all.

To get a notice in my mailbox, pre-order, wait half a year, and then to be told I have to wait another year to know if I can even get the service at all? How did Sonic's marketing team not see this would be a problem?
by jonasdoerr » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:17 pm
This is what I got (February update):

Code: Select all

As of this month, your area is 15% activated. The construction of your area is going as planned and is on schedule. The flexnap (that handy device hanging on the pole outside your home delivering fiber) is with our contractors and will be hung soon, if not already. We expect to have your neighborhood fully live by Summer. Cheers to that!
Seems they are pushing it back (it did say spring in the January update). Btw. I'm closer to Burlingame than to SM downtown. And I can see the fiber dongles already installed on my pole next to the house - no idea if that's 1) from Sonic or AT&T or 2) active at all...
by jonasdoerr » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:08 pm
Over the weekend I noticed quite a lot of "ED Tec" contractors installing fiber lines coming from Peninsula Ave/Burlingame with a thick cable, branching out to the neighborhoods with thinner cables. At the moment there are piles of cables on the poles - hoping for a swift installation! :)

Any chance this area will make it before summer?
by jonasdoerr » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:31 pm
For me an install for next Sunday was scheduled! :D
by Insanity » Tue May 05, 2020 1:21 pm
I'm in Hayward Park/Borel area, anyone know if this area is scheduled for fiber any time soon?
66 posts Page 1 of 7