Fiber in San Mateo

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
66 posts Page 5 of 7
by timyip » Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:25 pm
bjeung wrote:
dane wrote:
bjeung wrote:Dane or someone at Sonic,

I had a pre-order for my office in San Mateo and it was cancelled due to construction issues. Apparently there are one more poles that won't work for Sonic to deliver service. Where can I get more specifics so I can try leaning on PGE to resolve?
I'll check with engineering.
Any luck on this front? For the record, the address in question is 116 E 25TH AVE in San Mateo. The address on this account I'm logged into is my home address which also has a pre-order although I'm concerned that my fiber map shows Sonic stopping 2 houses away. Hope I don't have a pole issue here as well.
I'm dealing with a similar issue here in Oakland (viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17205).
I reached out to the CPUC who quickly investigated, but it all points back to PG&E poles in need of updating here. PG&E gave me an email address, but no response yet.
by dane » Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:00 pm
bjeung wrote:
dane wrote:
bjeung wrote:Dane or someone at Sonic,

I had a pre-order for my office in San Mateo and it was cancelled due to construction issues. Apparently there are one more poles that won't work for Sonic to deliver service. Where can I get more specifics so I can try leaning on PGE to resolve?
Any luck on this front? For the record, the address in question is 116 E 25TH AVE in San Mateo. The address on this account I'm logged into is my home address which also has a pre-order although I'm concerned that my fiber map shows Sonic stopping 2 houses away. Hope I don't have a pole issue here as well.
There does appear to be an issue there. The fiber distribution area has been tagged "no access". I'm asking engineering for some further details on why we apparently can't get there.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by bjeung » Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:00 pm
dane wrote:
bjeung wrote:
dane wrote:
There does appear to be an issue there. The fiber distribution area has been tagged "no access". I'm asking engineering for some further details on why we apparently can't get there.
Just to clarify, is the 'no access' for 116 E 25TH AVE area or my home (address on this account)? I ask because I went to the website and it allows me to pre-order for 116 E 25TH even though my previous pre-order for that address was cancelled.

Thanks
by dane » Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:24 pm
bjeung wrote: Just to clarify, is the 'no access' for 116 E 25TH AVE area or my home (address on this account)? I ask because I went to the website and it allows me to pre-order for 116 E 25TH even though my previous pre-order for that address was cancelled.

Thanks
We had issues with this address, which are now resolved. Basically when it was input is was switching E out for West, which is a different region or street. You can try again now - but what you'll find is that we're only offering the fiber resale product there today.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by bjeung » Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:33 am
dane wrote:
bjeung wrote:
dane wrote:
Hey Dane, any luck on getting more info on why it's tagged 'no access' ? There were some trees on my end of the block that were pretty heavily entangled in the lines but those were cut down last summer. I was excited at the time thinking that meant fiber was on the way.

And if you can find out what the issue is preventing fiber to my address on 25th that would be great. If it's a pole issue I'd be happy to start nagging PGE.

Thanks
by aurimas » Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:22 pm
Spotted Sonic workers rolling out fiber on 31st Ave in San Mateo next to the Hillsdale mall.

Attachments

by nobaq » Mon May 02, 2022 1:13 am
I got 1G SONIC in San Mateo/Sunnybrae -- YAY!

Is there any plan to bring 10G? Very curious where it's available ... is there a coverage map or similar?

(EDIT: Also, what is the limiting factor for 10G vs 1G? backend, infrastructure or ONT? I don't think existing SONIC fiber cables are limited to 1G (that's no copper) so I guess backend. But why is it then so location dependent?)
by dane » Mon May 02, 2022 7:36 am
The speed delivered depends only open the “optical line terminal” equipment in the CO, and matching “optical network unit/terminal” (sort of like a modem) at the premise. Newly deployed COs have XGS-PON technology while older ones have GPON.

There is another thread here on the upgrade process, where I did a pretty extensive write-up on how that will be accomplished.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by dane » Mon May 02, 2022 7:39 am
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by thejimmyz » Thu May 12, 2022 4:35 pm
aurimas wrote:Spotted Sonic workers rolling out fiber on 31st Ave in San Mateo next to the Hillsdale mall.
Hey that's my street :) I pre-ordered today
66 posts Page 5 of 7