Fiber in San Mateo

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
66 posts Page 6 of 7
by dane » Thu May 12, 2022 4:45 pm
thejimmyz wrote:
aurimas wrote:Spotted Sonic workers rolling out fiber on 31st Ave in San Mateo next to the Hillsdale mall.
Hey that's my street :) I pre-ordered today
If you have an existing Sonic connection, please don't pre-order or you'll end up with two fiber service deliveries in flight at the same time.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by thejimmyz » Thu May 12, 2022 6:21 pm
dane wrote:
thejimmyz wrote:
aurimas wrote:Spotted Sonic workers rolling out fiber on 31st Ave in San Mateo next to the Hillsdale mall.
Hey that's my street :) I pre-ordered today
If you have an existing Sonic connection, please don't pre-order or you'll end up with two fiber service deliveries in flight at the same time.
Thanks Dane for your message, but I will be a new customer :) I have been waiting for years!

Also, really cool to see you so involved in the forum. Speaks volume about Sonic.
by bjeung » Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:45 pm
Finally got my install scheduled and already have the fiber strung to the house! Not sure if you had anything to do with pushing it along but thanks Dane!

Any insight on which pole(s) are problematic as far as getting Sonic to my office? 116 E 25Th Ave in San Mateo.
by sockcheng » Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:22 pm
How exciting, the Sonic construction crew is working on my street (42nd Ave) today! Looking forward to being on Sonic network soon.
by bogardon » Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:54 pm
I'm on 41st Ave and also received a couple notices for gigabit construction! The patience is finally paying off :)
by rexhunt » Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:24 am
Does anyone have any feedback on how this works in Apartment buildings. I'm currently at the Metropolitan Apartments (3rd & South Fremont on Astound/Wave Fiber but Sonic is showing available at a great price so I signed up to make the switch yesterday and it mentioned a process involving the landlord.

I assume this means Sonic already has the equipment in the building and is really just connecting the ethernet switches in the patch panel to their switches or something to that effect.

Anyone else make the switch? How long did it take from signing up online where it showed available to having it installed
by srogers270 » Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:21 pm
I'm on 42nd Avenue, and today Sonic strung the fiber and attached it to the messenger strand. It was interesting to see the cable lashing machine in operation. I wonder how long it will take to light up the fiber and connect it to homes.
by thejimmyz » Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:52 pm
I'm on 31st Ave and today was the day. w00t!

Speedtest from Alex's (the Sonic technician) laptop.

Attachments

by srogers270 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:03 pm
thejimmyz wrote:I'm on 31st Ave and today was the day. w00t!

Speedtest from Alex's (the Sonic technician) laptop.
That's great. I'm looking forward to having Sonic on 42nd Avenue.
by bogardon » Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:14 pm
Received an email (I'm on 41st ave):
The Sonic team is beginning splicing work in your community, this is where we prep the fiber cable by fusing it together prior to installation. We expect your area to begin going live with fiber within 60 days!
Pretty good early Christmas present :)
66 posts Page 6 of 7